New LV Block Planes

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on the new Lee Valley block planes. Given the run-up in prices of planes recently, the low end model is not too bad, but the premium model comes with a premium price.

Anyone planning to buy one of the high end models?

Mike

[I do like the design. LV always is pushing the envelope.]

Yes, I saw Alf's review in her blog. Very interesting, but I have two block planes already (LN) and they work great. If I needed a block plane, I would definitely take a look at the base model. I am not sure that I would the spend money for the premium block plane, but I would be more inclined to invest in a premium smoother. That is were I would put my cash. It will be interested to see what other premium planes they produce.

Well, it seems that LV is taking a step forward in making the design of the planes really modern, if those planes cut as fast as they shape suggests they are winners!

I was wondering why LN and some other would not update the design of their planes? Marketing reasons I guess:dunno:

I sure am having a Hard Time adjusting to the current prices of Hand Tools when the price for spare blades is more than I can remember paying for a pretty decent Plane W/blade.:eek: Maybe I've just been around TOO LONG.:rolleyes:

Those do look pretty Fancy though.

it`ll take me a while to get used to the new design before i ever consider buying one........heck i still think most new cars (those newer than `90) look kinda like spaceships.:eek:

Great review, thanks for the link Frank.

I like it, I own a newer Stanley #65, and it required a LOT of tune up to get it to cut right, I can see one of these new LV planes in my future, I think I need one to finish up the Aparto Job :D :wave:

Those look like they should come with V-8 engines installed.
I just don't understand the high prices of those little things.
Are they that much better than an old Stanley that can be bought at a flea market for $10.00?

frank its like takin a old vehicle and makin run again ,, it can be done but you wont have the power windows and the dvd player and the onstar at your finger tips...you have to tune and finess a old plane to do what those new engineerd ones do easily outa the box..

frank its like takin a old vehicle and makin run again ,, it can be done but you wont have the power windows and the dvd player and the onstar at your finger tips...you have to tune and finess a old plane to do what those new engineerd ones do easily outa the box..

Reason is, I'm not much of a flatwork guy. I gave up the neanderthal approach long time ago. 90% power tools now. And, I'm at the point where I'm concerned about what will happen to my stuff when I kick. My son would probably sell those at a yard sale fifty cents each.

I was at the Pizza Party at WIA in Berea when Rob Lee gave us a sneak preview of the planes.

They are excellent feeling. The ultra model is heavy. It is something that will make you smile every time you pick it up to use it.

As John Economaki said at WIA, your tools should inspire you to create.

The knurling on the knobs is absolutely incredible. Rob said this was an extremely complex and long CNC process. Note the same knobs are used on both the $299 and #199 planes.

I was able to spend about 30 mins talking one on one with Rob Lee. What a joy. Just a great guy.

So I will have one someday. I have a Lie-Neilsen low angle small bench plane that will certainly do the job.

Great review, thanks for the link Frank.

I like it, I own a newer Stanley #65, and it required a LOT of tune up to get it to cut right, I can see one of these new LV planes in my future, I think I need one to finish up the Aparto Job :D :wave:

Now now Stuart you are starting to sound real greedy:D First it was a TS then a SAW STOP , then came the shop vac, now the HItachi SCMS then the new lathe and freebie Dust collector and I carver.......oops forgot about the new ladder......and now you want what the Lee Valley planes as well:eek: Can you leave some tools in this world for us woodworkers that take a while to decide on things.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now now Stuart you are starting to sound real greedy:D First it was a TS then a SAW STOP , then came the shop vac, now the HItachi SCMS then the new lathe and freebie Dust collector and I carver.......oops forgot about the new ladder......and now you want what the Lee Valley planes as well:eek: Can you leave some tools in this world for us woodworkers that take a while to decide on things.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob, I'm just trying to stimulate the economy :D :thumb:

You forgot the Bosch Sawzall :wave:

I would like to take this thread down a different path for those who are adverse to seeing the high price of a quality crafted tool. Even if it is just a plane.
People have been buying jewelry for centuries. The Pharos of Egypt were buried with several of these objects. These objects gave them pleasure eminnating from the design given that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Recent years (20 or so) have seen mankind entering an age when design has greater value than the mere functionality. Just look at the furniture that is being created today that is available to all as opposed to the few rich people of prior times.
Tools can trully become objects of art and beauty to those that appreciate the fine engineering and quality craftmanship that has gone into their creation.
So why shouldn't woodworkers that are so inclined not have fine "jewelry" and keep it in their "jewelry box shop" to be able to play with it and appreciate it. At least these objects of art have a functional role and in turn play a role in creating something of equal or greater pleasure.

I own a Lee Valley low angle block plane LABP and it is a real treat to use. Makes you feel really great when you do use it. It works.
I imagine these new designs are even more of a treat. Hats off to Mr. Lee for refining these art pieces. Only wish I had the money to afford them all but then again who owns all the jewelry in the jewelry store and if we did, would it hold the same mystique about it. Consider the lengths we go to in building and fitting out our workshops. ;)

So yeah lets hope Santa is listening and brings us all (those that want one) a new plane.:rofl::rofl: