Interior Closet Door

scott spencer

Here's the completed version of my first door. It'll replace a cheap builder's grade door in our MBR. The frame is red oak, the panels are butternut. I used a set of interior/exterior door making router bits.

doorfinished019.jpg

doorfinished013-1.jpg

doorfinished010.jpg

doorfinished012-1.jpg

A little hidden treasure on the door's edge:
doorfinished009.jpg

its a great piece of work, doubly great because it increases the beauty of the room/house, triply great cause eventually whenever you sell, custom doors will increase the value or at least be more enticing to the next buyer.

ok scotts been sand baggin us

thats one sharp door scott.. how did you like the frued set? how long of tenons did you use for your door? the butternut was sharp in there...i got my eyes on a small one but theyre scarce up here,, they dont live long around my parts and dont get real big if they do live long.. the one i got a line is over fifty years old and maybe 16" at the stump..

thats one sharp door scott.. how did you like the frued set? how long of tenons did you use for your door? the butternut was sharp in there...i got my eyes on a small one but theyre scarce up here,, they dont live long around my parts and dont get real big if they do live long.. the one i got a line is over fifty years old and maybe 16" at the stump..

Thanks Larry - The Freud set worked great. It's fully adjustable. I did manage to chip a piece of carbide on one the removable slot cutters but it was due to an error on my part. The tenons are only an inch or so...another error on my part. It would have been better to make the top and bottom rails with 2-3" tenons...a moment of stupidity changed that plan! :doh: I did shore up the hinged side with a 3" screw into each stub tenon from the end. I wish I'd bought more butternut when I got this stuff last spring...$1.50 BF, and he had loads of it....I just wasn't all that familiar with it. Great natural color, rustic, and it's really nice to work with.

Beautiful job, Scott. The "Rays" that show in the edge of the door make it look more like White oak than Red oak don't they.:thumb:

Ya know Norman....in the back of my mind I had wondered if that was WO too, now I'm wondering harder. Just because it was in the RO pile doesn't make it so! :rolleyes: I'll have to make a closer inspection tonight when I get home.

from the rays i see in the face of the door stile i say its still red oak the end grain will tell ya the truth scott.. that is mighty impressive ray flecking for red oak but if it was an old tree and cut just right you can get that nice of fleck in red oak sometimes..