Potpourri Pots

Stuart Ablett

OK, I made three of these up, the top pieces are from LV, one for my Mom, my sister and my sister in-law.........

HI370408.JPG

HI370409.JPG

HI370410.JPG

HI370418.JPG

HI370419.JPG

HI370420.JPG

HI370427.JPG

HI370428.JPG

HI370429.JPG

HI370430.JPG

The wood is Akagashi, which is called "Japanese Evergreen Oak", this is from my "Logging in Tokyo" stash! :D

Cheers!

Nice looking pots, Stu. What did you finish them with?

I've got one I finished up a couple of days ago out of -- suprise -- red eucalyptus. Still need to take some pics, but I'll post them when I do.

Very nice Stuart, I really like the Akagashi wood, looks like it finishes very nice.

I have a few of the LV lids, LOML wants me to make some potpourri boxes, but I've been holdin' out until Santa brings me some hollowing tools (Hint- Hint). :D

Thanks guys, I too like the Akagashi, and these pieces have some nice figure in them.

To finish I sand to #320, then a heavy coat of Melamine sanding sealer, dry for 5 minutes and then buff lightly with a clean cloth. Next I sand with #400 and apply another coat of the sanding sealer, dry again 5 minutes and buff with a clean cloth, next sand #600 and then apply the Cellulose Lacquer, dry 5 minutes, sand to #800, another coat of Lacquer, and dry again, finally I use the gray scrubby pad, and then the stick wax and a buffing.

Each time between sanding and applying the next coat of finish, I ALWAYS use some compressed air to blow the piece off with, this is REALLY important after before the first coat, as you don't want to trap any dust in the pours of the wood.

I finish a lot of my stuff like this, I have found the finish holds up well and it is easy to do. One more thing, I put my light near the piece and let the lathe run to dry the pieces when I apply the finish, I find I get an even coat and it dries evenly a well.

Cheers!

Good looking "pots" Stu. Those always make nice gifts, and they sell good too! That is interesting looking wood...........does Akagashi have open pores like other Oak species? Just curious, as I like the light color of this wood. It reminds me a little of White Ash. Nice finish too, quick but excellent results.........nothing wrong with that! :)

The Akagashi is not at all open grained like most Oak or Ash, I'd say it is more like Maple??

Anyways I have a ton of it, so I'm sure there will be more of these to show.

Cheers!

PS, what do these usually sell for, just a ballpark price..?

I would say $25 to $40, depending on the wood species, and how elaborate the turning. Heck, those pewter lids aren't cheap, and it takes a while to turn and finish a nice one. That may even be a bit low, but I would think that would be a good place to start? (I sold a few to my Mom's friends, and I think I got $35 for them if I remember right, and they were Cherry, Mahogany and Walnut.)

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Gari, I just order from LV, I pay in USD, so maybe it does come from the US?

I usually make a big order, a bunch of stuff at once, the last order was over $1000 :rolleyes:

I do have people bring stuff back too, like my kids are in Canada for the Christmas vacation, visiting my parents, their grandparents, and a number of boxes of stuff will be winging their way back to Japan with my kids, saves shipping fees :thumb:

Cheers!