In the market for a new bandsaw

Chris Krohn

Hey all,

I am trying to set up my woodshop, particularly for woodturning. I am contemplating many different brands and sizes. Craftsman 14" 1hp 8" resaw $559, Rikon 14" 13" resaw 1 1/2 hp $800, or the Jet 14 6" resaw $749 1 1/4 hp. I am leaning toward the Rikon because of the hp and the resaw capacity, or the Craftsman because of the price. I plan on doing a significant amount of turning and am tired of trying to cut circles with the chainsaw.

What do you think?
Chris

Looking for new bandsaw

I would go for the Ricon or jet,you may get a better price on the craftsman,but you will be a long way off from the better tool.I'v had a few craftsman bandsaws and you are very limited to what you can do with them,compaired to the Ricon and Jet.Not to mention there service.

Most 14 inch Jet bandsaws support a "riser block" that lifts the upper wheel 6 inches higher, using blades that are 12 inches longer. You put the block in once, and leave it there, and have a bandsaw that has decent resaw height.

You will be surprised how much height you need when cutting turning blanks from rough logs.

The Grizzly G0555 is one of their very good tools... I had a 14 inch Jet that I sold to buy the G0555, and considered it a step up. When I bought a MiniMax 24 inch, I kept the G0555.

I bought the Grizzly G0555 with the riser block and a 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf blade. It has been a workhorse for me. I have had it now for 2 1/2 yrs and cut everything I have thrown at it including a 12" log to splint in half. Just another thought to throw in the pot at $471 shipped. If I were to buy one today and this wasn't available would be the G0555X at $671 with 1 1/2 hp.

I just answered your other post but I would get the Grizzly G0555X with 1 1/2 hp and riser block kit. I had a C-man and wouldn't touch another one. I got the G0555 with the riser block when I got rid of the C-man.

I moved Bernie's response from the other thread into this one, and I'm going to delete the duplicate of this thread over in the Turning Tools section. ;)

What about the horsepower with the riser, do you find that it slows down the power?

The riser block has nothing to do with power... it doesn't take more power to move the longer blade in the same path. (Ok, maybe a microscopic difference, but not enough to notice). Therefore you leave the riser block in, even if cutting thin wood.

Sawing through something 12 inches thick instead of something 6 inches thick does take more power. You can struggle (cut slowly, be careful to avoid burns, etc.) or you can get a bigger bandsaw that also takes wider blades (like I did).

I was concerned about the quality of the cut when I was resawing veneers and the like for my furniture making, so I took the plunge on the big saw, and use it with a 1 inch carbide blade. But I still do my bowl blanks on the Grizzly with a 1/2 inch Timberwolf blade chosen for wet wood and thick cuts.

I clicked on Buy Now and got this

I hope they have a mail in rebate! :D That looks like a heck of a saw...wonder what it will cost?

$99,998..... At least you get free shipping!:rofl::rofl:

It must be the gold plated version. I was right, it was in Popular Woodworking (December 2008, #173) that I saw the band saw. They made it one of their 2008 Best New Tools. According to the article, it should retail at $899.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay a penny more than $99,998.97 for that saw. $99,998.99 is simply too high.

Seriously, reading the features of the new Jet, it doesn't seem substantially better than my 14" Shop Fox with 6" riser. It has 1/4 more horsepower, but I don't see $300 or so worth of additional value. The solid frame (as opposed to the riser block) sounds OK on paper, but is flexing really a problem with saws in this class?

Hey all,

I am trying to set up my woodshop, particularly for woodturning. I am contemplating many different brands and sizes. Craftsman 14" 1hp 8" resaw $559, Rikon 14" 13" resaw 1 1/2 hp $800, or the Jet 14 6" resaw $749 1 1/4 hp. I am leaning toward the Rikon because of the hp and the resaw capacity, or the Craftsman because of the price. I plan on doing a significant amount of turning and am tired of trying to cut circles with the chainsaw.

What do you think?
Chris

Chris,

I Have the Craftsman Pro 14in. It is actually made by Rikon. It is a combination of features of their regular 14in and their delux 14in. It does have a 8 in resaw that is fixed in height due to it being a steel frame euro design.

I have been happy with it so far. I haven't cut anything thicker than 4in maple bowl blanks, but it handled those with ease.

Here is my post on the some of the specs of the saw.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8293