It's a first!!

Dawn Kight

my first bowl/dish it is Honduras Rosewood not exactly the shape I intended but it's okay.

Attachments

• s6301577a.jpg
    s6301577a.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 109
Great job, Dawn. Much nicer than my first bowl, too. :thumb: What's the size?

Seems like a lot of folks make their first bowl with an undercut rim. (I know I did.) As it turns out, those are harder to make than a more traditional bowl shape. I suspect there's a hollow form turner in you waiting to get out, Dawn. ;)

Nice bowl, Dawn!

As for it being a different shape than what you started out to make, I don't think I've yet finished a turned piece that was the shape that I'd originally intended. Between catches and "OOPSes," they always seem to change shape during their evolution. :rolleyes:

As Jim says, seldom does the finished piece reflect exactly your original idea. Most of the time it will be because your idea evolves while you are turning. It's often easier to see what the form should be once you start working on it.

As Jim says, seldom does the finished piece reflect exactly your original idea. Most of the time it will be because your idea evolves while you are turning...

Yeah! Right! That sounds a lot better than 'turning out the catch marks.'

It's not correcting a mess-up, it's 'evolution!'

my first bowl/dish it is Honduras Rosewood not exactly the shape I intended but it's okay.

I think it's a great bowl Dawn:thumb:. What do you mean by "not exactly the shape"; you wanted it round, didn't you? And it is round isn't it?? so where is the problem?:)

Jokes apart, if that bothers you so much you can let it rest for a while and tweak it later as Vaughn did his vase.

Put it out of your sight for about a month and forget about it. When you go back to it you'll see it with different eyes and you'll know what to do.

Great looking first bowl Dawn. I would sign and date it. Keep it to compare a year or so down the road. You will be amazed. I generally go in with some idea but most of the time let the wood tell me.

Last edited:
Great job, Dawn. Much nicer than my first bowl, too. :thumb: What's the size?

Seems like a lot of folks make their first bowl with an undercut rim. (I know I did.) As it turns out, those are harder to make than a more traditional bowl shape. I suspect there's a hollow form turner in you waiting to get out, Dawn. ;)

Vaughn
It's about 2 inches across not very big wanted to stay small for my first try still a little scared of the lathe but i'm working through it :D

Your courage will build as your skills do. You may get the bejeebers scared out of you a time or two along the way, but you'll move up to bigger and harder challenges. And there is alway "miniature" turning, too. Search around here for posts from Chas Jones...he and some of his UK buddies do come cool miniatures.