cut-n-paste from travis!

tod evans

i found this sentence that travis wrote earlier to be one of the most profound i`ve read in the last few months........

thanks!

"In today's economy, where success, value and net worth is being re-evaluated as never before, you just never know."

i read it earlier and pondered over it travis,, and i agree with tods and your veiws of it.. i maynot be a ceo in a large company but i am happy at waht i am doing and have food on my table today and for the futer so that is major obstical for some that i dont have to worry about..

Now that Tod has graciously given me a soapbox to stand on I will type away and thus prove that I am indeed dumb after all. :D Actually I can expand on my thoughts a bit.

Basically what I meant was that you hear of so many CE0's who are getting lavish pension and severance checks and for what...success/failure??? For every 1 that has been successful there are 1000 management exec's that have not made it, and 10,000 that have been trampled along the way. I have no ill feelings towards CEO's that do well, and they should be compensated for intellectual property, good guidance and management skills, but for even the few that have made it, what is the carnage they have left behind? Divorces, unmanageable children, co-workers with wrecked career paths...

A few boards crudely nailed together is just as successful at being a jewelry box as the most ornate box pinned together with Japanese dovetails. But its what lies within that value is truly ascertained. The most ornate jewelry box is only worth what the box is worth if costume jewelry is kept within, while those pine boards crudely nailed together may hold an antique ring of brilliance and value.

For me many CEO's are like the fancy jewelery box, all show but nothing worth seeing on the inside. Nope give me the Tod's, Larry's, Steve's of this forum any day, and a bunch of old farmers to boot. A few weeks ago a local farmer had his tractor broken in half by the Amish and laughed when they were going to fix it right away. In a nut shell he told them to get his other tractor and to get their hay in, the broken tractor could be fixed later. He opened his box and what lie within was beautiful despite his dirty jeans and grease ridden John Deere cap. Recently the inside of wall street was opened up as well and it was pretty dark and empty from what I can see. I think a lot of people saw that too.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Today you are with family and that is a beautiful thing.

most of the folks i know packaged in a rough ol` beat-up "box" are as good as it gets on the inside....
thanks again travis!

just like theres good and bad CEOs, theres good and bad everything.

Sure, we see all the CEOs that have decieved us and walked away with zillions of bucks, and others that fall apart.

We just have to realize that 1000s of these guys went to college for 6 or more years, worked 4 jobs while they went through school to support themselves, worked 20 years 84 hours a week, to get to where they are today.
Most of them didnt have it handed to them on a silver platter.

I dont believe their lives are any more messed up then every other position as far as kids, marriage, family etc...

Ditto what Allan said.

The vast majority of corporate CEOs are not on the nightly news, or blogs... Look around your house and see what you have...made by a company whose CEO just might have come up the ranks of the company, or is good and nice enough to have guided the company through troubled times to survive and thrive enough to make what you wanted, or needed, and bought.

That may be, but a farm magazine did a study and found out that on average a farmer is typically a "farm manager" for 30 years or more. There is a 40% chance that the farm will be passed on to another generation, and while there is only a 15% chance of a third generation, this is in comparison to the average CEO who's expectancy is 6 years.

I said earlier in the month that any child born in Maine is given a $500 dollar grant for college from the late owner and CEO of Dexter shoe (located in Maine). Around here we have our share of well meaning CEO's too, but we tend to call them philanthropists.