Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Goals For 2007

Woodworking Goals For 2007

I knew someone was going to post this at some point so I figured I would go ahead and post it. Frank had a great post on the accomplishments of the past year, but what are you looking forward to for 2007? What skills would you like to learn or try? What projects would you like to complete? What tools would you like to get?

This is rather crazy but I would love to write a book about getting the most out of a drill press. In my opionion the drill press is really underrated in what it can do. I recent post about drilling glass got me to thinking about this simple machine and just what it can do. Routing, riveting, spindle work and cutting are all things that can be done on the drill press. Heck I used mine once to route out some raised panel doors. Anyway this post is not about the drill press's capabilities, but I would like to write a book about it.

As for projects I would like to build anothe custom cradle and get all the tools in my shop hooked up to my dust collector.

As for skills, well han-cutting a blind wedged mortise and tennon joint would be nice to learn in 2007.

'07 expectations

Firstly, I am hoping to build a new dedicated detached shop. My goal is to be finished before spring, but finances may not allow that. Once the building is up, I am planning to build a lot of shop cabinets, a good solid bench, and a router table. I never really had the shop space for these, and I am looking forward to it.

I would really like to give hand tools an honest try. Like I have mentioned, I am mostly a turner but I would like to expand.

For tools, I want to pick up some old hand planes (and other hand tools) to restore. I enjoy working with metals, and as mentioned above, would like to get into using these as well. I also want to pick up a band saw and possibly upgrade my lathe with a 3 phase moter with a VFD.

Most importantly, I would like to get my kids involved somehow. I have twin seven year old daughters, and think they are ready (and sometimes show interest) to spend some time together. For me, this will be difficult because I will have to seperate them a little to make this happen. I do not think I wold be comfortable trying to teach them safety rules at the same time (they are easily distracted when they are together). Another perk of this is that my wife will actually like the fact that I am out there if they are involved and we are spending time together (**bonus shop time**). In fact, I wish I could get my wife interested...

I am sure that I will not get this all accomplished though. I always set my expectations too high.

Jamie

Hopefully I can take a break from picking up tools and getting them running to building more stuff... would really like to get a bedroom set started for LOML... she's pretty patient with me and my 'hobby'

Finish the kitchen hutch I started 3 months ago!

Build my Kayak I have been talking about for a couple of years now!!!! I have built one cheap and dirty as a trial and loved it. Of course it didn't last but a few years. My niece is interested in kayaking so I am going to build two at one time. That ways if someone wants to go with me I will have a boat for them too.

Install a duct collection system. This is big on the list

Restore the H&B 12" jointer that is supposed to be in my shop at the end of January.

Try to find some old machines to fix up and resale.

As for skills, I want to practice dovetails. I can do them but not very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis S Johnson View Post
    This is rather crazy but I would love to write a book about getting the most out of a drill press. In my opionion the drill press is really underrated in what it can do. I recent post about drilling glass got me to thinking about this simple machine and just what it can do. Routing, riveting, spindle work and cutting are all things that can be done on the drill press. Heck I used mine once to route out some raised panel doors. Anyway this post is not about the drill press's capabilities, but I would like to write a book about it.

As for projects I would like to build anothe custom cradle and get all the tools in my shop hooked up to my dust collector.

As for skills, well han-cutting a blind wedged mortise and tennon joint would be nice to learn in 2007.
    Travis, if you write such a book, I will certainly want to read it. I am sure that my drill press is very much under-utilized.
    Cheers, Frank

I'm determined to improve my skills this year.
    Even though I have had my shop almost five years, I still feel very much like a beginner and haven't tackled many projects requiring advanced skills. My furniture/flatwork skills are very much at the kindergarten stage. I'm going to (try to) build myself a tool chest with drawers, etc. as a learning project.
    For turning, I'm determined to do more larger objects. The pens have been fun but I haven't progressed much beyond those. I'll be doing bowls, vases, platters, etc. this year.
    I am VERY determined to learn to use a bowl gouge. Up to now, it is a 'touch and catch' thing for me. I have four bowl gouges just setting useless.

Become a famous Arch/WW'r .....have people come from all over this great country to have me design and fabricate pieces for them....make lots-o-money....be able to splurge and buy my lusted after widebelt sander....go on vacation with the whole family whenever and where ever we want......pay someone to do some of the less fun projects around the house......Oh I think it is time to wake up or hit the snooze bar again ....ZZZZZZ...

Put the Vega 2600 lathe I purchased at the end of 2005 to good use. I'm embarassed to admit I've only used this one time.

As alluded to in Frank's post summarizing 2006's activities, I need to build my youngest a bedroom set. I'm planning on using a cherry/maple combination in the asian style.