Woodworking Goals For 2007

I knew someone was going to post this at some point so I figured I would go ahead and post it. Frank had a great post on the accomplishments of the past year, but what are you looking forward to for 2007? What skills would you like to learn or try? What projects would you like to complete? What tools would you like to get?

This is rather crazy but I would love to write a book about getting the most out of a drill press. In my opionion the drill press is really underrated in what it can do. I recent post about drilling glass got me to thinking about this simple machine and just what it can do. Routing, riveting, spindle work and cutting are all things that can be done on the drill press. Heck I used mine once to route out some raised panel doors. Anyway this post is not about the drill press's capabilities, but I would like to write a book about it.

As for projects I would like to build anothe custom cradle and get all the tools in my shop hooked up to my dust collector.

As for skills, well han-cutting a blind wedged mortise and tennon joint would be nice to learn in 2007.

'07 expectations

Firstly, I am hoping to build a new dedicated detached shop. My goal is to be finished before spring, but finances may not allow that. Once the building is up, I am planning to build a lot of shop cabinets, a good solid bench, and a router table. I never really had the shop space for these, and I am looking forward to it.

I would really like to give hand tools an honest try. Like I have mentioned, I am mostly a turner but I would like to expand.

For tools, I want to pick up some old hand planes (and other hand tools) to restore. I enjoy working with metals, and as mentioned above, would like to get into using these as well. I also want to pick up a band saw and possibly upgrade my lathe with a 3 phase moter with a VFD.

Most importantly, I would like to get my kids involved somehow. I have twin seven year old daughters, and think they are ready (and sometimes show interest) to spend some time together. For me, this will be difficult because I will have to seperate them a little to make this happen. I do not think I wold be comfortable trying to teach them safety rules at the same time (they are easily distracted when they are together). Another perk of this is that my wife will actually like the fact that I am out there if they are involved and we are spending time together (**bonus shop time**). In fact, I wish I could get my wife interested...

I am sure that I will not get this all accomplished though. I always set my expectations too high.

Jamie

Hopefully I can take a break from picking up tools and getting them running to building more stuff... would really like to get a bedroom set started for LOML... she's pretty patient with me and my 'hobby'

Build my Kayak I have been talking about for a couple of years now!!!! I have built one cheap and dirty as a trial and loved it. Of course it didn't last but a few years. My niece is interested in kayaking so I am going to build two at one time. That ways if someone wants to go with me I will have a boat for them too.

Install a duct collection system. This is big on the list

Restore the H&B 12" jointer that is supposed to be in my shop at the end of January.

Try to find some old machines to fix up and resale.

As for skills, I want to practice dovetails. I can do them but not very well.

This is rather crazy but I would love to write a book about getting the most out of a drill press. In my opionion the drill press is really underrated in what it can do. I recent post about drilling glass got me to thinking about this simple machine and just what it can do. Routing, riveting, spindle work and cutting are all things that can be done on the drill press. Heck I used mine once to route out some raised panel doors. Anyway this post is not about the drill press's capabilities, but I would like to write a book about it.

As for projects I would like to build anothe custom cradle and get all the tools in my shop hooked up to my dust collector.

As for skills, well han-cutting a blind wedged mortise and tennon joint would be nice to learn in 2007.

Travis, if you write such a book, I will certainly want to read it. I am sure that my drill press is very much under-utilized.

I'm determined to improve my skills this year.
Even though I have had my shop almost five years, I still feel very much like a beginner and haven't tackled many projects requiring advanced skills. My furniture/flatwork skills are very much at the kindergarten stage. I'm going to (try to) build myself a tool chest with drawers, etc. as a learning project.
For turning, I'm determined to do more larger objects. The pens have been fun but I haven't progressed much beyond those. I'll be doing bowls, vases, platters, etc. this year.
I am VERY determined to learn to use a bowl gouge. Up to now, it is a 'touch and catch' thing for me. I have four bowl gouges just setting useless.

Become a famous Arch/WW'r .....have people come from all over this great country to have me design and fabricate pieces for them....make lots-o-money....be able to splurge and buy my lusted after widebelt sander....go on vacation with the whole family whenever and where ever we want......pay someone to do some of the less fun projects around the house......Oh I think it is time to wake up or hit the snooze bar again ....ZZZZZZ...

Put the Vega 2600 lathe I purchased at the end of 2005 to good use. I'm embarassed to admit I've only used this one time. :eek:

As alluded to in Frank's post summarizing 2006's activities, I need to build my youngest a bedroom set. I'm planning on using a cherry/maple combination in the asian style.

1. Finish the BIG DESK for LOML
2. Set up shop in my new house.
3. Build cabinates for new shop
4. Build assemble/outfeed table for TS
5. Build fireplace surround in new house.
6. Build cabinates in laundry in new house
7. Build some kitchen assesories for LOML in new house.
8. build more cabinate in garage in new house.
hmmm does it look loke there a theme to this post..:huh: :D
I'm sure when this is all done I'll find soime more stuff to build..:)

I'd just like some time to actually do some woodhacking. My entire output this year was a couple of hundred feet of custom baseboard/door casing and six - count'em, six - small bandsawn 'tooth' boxes for assorted nephews/nieces. Oh and I managed to rough size some wild cherry for a small cupboard.
Sheesh.

Having finally gotten to the point where I've got almost every tool I want (yes, at the bottom the slope levels off) I really need to build more shop cabinets and deal with shop clutter. I also intend to make gifts of some of my duplicate tools - some going to friends in Africa and some to an aspiring woodworker closer to home.

I also intend to make a rustic corner cabinet in ash using only my hand tools from beginning to end. It will be an exercise in patience and learning to work at a slower pace while enjoying every moment.

And hey, if anyone has a matched set of rule-joint planes they're willing to part with - that's the last thing on my wishlist! PM me with your price, please :D

1. Learn patience (and I want it right now!!!:rolleyes: )
2. Loose the "that's good enough" attitude and do it over when it ain't right.
3. Build a good looking cabinet for my hand tools.
4. Eliminate 10% of my tools (those I don't really use) to make room for more.
5. Maybe buy a Domino:dunno: :dunno: - or does that take the 'craftsmanship' out of it??
6. Sell enough commission work to pay for the rest.

Finish the Christmas presents that are going to be late:eek:
Build a jewelry box for LOML:thumb:
Add to my hand tool collection and improve my skills
Complete a "fine furniture" piece.
If things go the way I hope, get a real shop instead of a gashop.
Get Christmas presents finished in time!!!

One carryover from last year is to try tackling a real furniture project. We need an armoire, and I've mulled the idea over, but haven't even started drawing it yet. New this year:
  • De-kludge/organize my shop to get a little more space out of it. I'd need the space in order to build an armoire.
  • Improve my bowl-turning skills.
  • Learn to turn hollow forms.
  • Find more markets for my work in order to better finance my habit.
  • Get the electrical service on the house upgraded so I can upgrade the shop power. (Not likely to happen unless LOML wins the Lottery.) ;)
Of course, I reserve the right to adjust this list at any time until Dec. 31, 2007. :D

This is rather crazy but I would love to write a book about getting the most out of a drill press. In my opionion the drill press is really underrated in what it can do. I recent post about drilling glass got me to thinking about this simple machine and just what it can do. Routing, riveting, spindle work and cutting are all things that can be done on the drill press.

Along with Frank, I would buy and read that book.

I need to finish designing and building my portable spray booth. I have several things build that are just sitting there waiting to be finished. I am refuseing to do it by hand. My wife said that if I didn't finish the hurricane shutter storage cabinet before hurricane season that she is going to hand paint it. That did not go over very well as you can imagine. I am running out of room so I do not have much option except to get busy. Oh well, I will feel better when it is done.

2007 goals

Project Goals
Finish the 2 projects that were due by Christmas:eek:
Finish at least 3 new projects this year (one with a deadline of 1/6/07:rofl:)

Shop Goals
Clean out the one last wall of junk to make more room
Insulate and install OSB on ceiling to help keep heat in to get more shop time.

Tool Goals
Recheck and PM all tools
Refurbish and start using 3-4 hand planes from my grandfather and FIL.

Project goal:
Build a dedicated shop in my back yard this spring and summer. I've been using the attached 2-stall garage as a shop for too long and LOML would be happy to see less dust in the house. My city limits this to 200 square feet in residential-zoned areas, so it will only be 10 x 20. This effectively cuts my shop size in half, but it will be for WW only, and I won't have to share with 2 cars! I was inspired by one of the featured designs in a WW shop design book, where the writer had built a decent shop in a 9 x 18 "Model T" garage.

I will have to first remove/demolish the existing 8 x 12 yard shed (city zoning allows only one outbuilding), so this will be like Extreme Makeover: Shed Edition. I'm planning to have electricity, heat, and maybe even a window A.C. unit. Poured concrete slab with insulated plywood floor (better for the feet & back).

Naturally, I will be taking keen interest in the other shop-construction threads here, and hope to learn some things and pick up a few ideas.

Skills Goals:
Brush up on the framing, concrete, electrical, etc., needed for the above project. I've built sheds before, but nothing of this scale.

Cheers,

Kevin