Woodworking Goals For 2007

Get me OWN kitchen cabinets done in the house.
After having this place for ten years, you'd think a cabinet maker would have the flashiest set of cabinets in town, in his own house.:huh: :rolleyes: :)

All we have is lower cabinets with sink.

Whats the old saying, plumbers have leaky pipes??:eek: ;)

My goal for 2007 is to retire from my teaching job and go full time into cabinet/furniture making. I've been working up to this point for some time now and I think I'm gonna be able to turn loose of the steady job for pastures less well seeded. My quit date is June 30 2007. Next a two week vacation somewhere then to work in my shop fulltime.

My goal for 2007 is to retire from my teaching job and go full time into cabinet/furniture making. I've been working up to this point for some time now and I think I'm gonna be able to turn loose of the steady job for pastures less well seeded. My quit date is June 30 2007. Next a two week vacation somewhere then to work in my shop fulltime.

Sounds great Jim :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Good subject, Travis!
1) First for me will be to cut a walk through opening from the foyer to the hall going to my wife's music studio. She wants the students to be able to got to the studio without going into the familyroom/kitchen to get to the hall. I actually started it tonight. Stuck my foot through the family room ceiling working in the attic to move an electrical line.:doh:
2) Repair hole in ceiling.:wave:
3) Install OSB on the ceilings and walls of the shop, install 5 more lights in the process.
4) Build built-in work bench for shop.
5) Build built-in cabinets for west wall of shop where miter saw/multi station will go.
6) Build mobile assembly table/outfeed table for TS. This may get the router table built in too...not sure yet.
OH!!!!:eek: I just went back and read the original post again... 2007!! not the rest of the decade, I'm with you now. Sure, that's easy. #1 above, might touch on #2, erase the others. :D Jim.

Well I hope to insulate and hang OSB Ceiling in the shop. This requires finishing the lighting circuit and moving some wall outlets.

Next is to finish the CMS/RAS bench.

Third is to finish at least to shop projects for the house, TBD.

And finally maybe a couple small projects to bring in some $$ to help fund the above.

...what are you looking forward to for 2007? ...What projects would you like to complete? ...
Wow, tall order. What would I like to complete?
  1. Candle stands, Communion table, deacon's bench and plant stands to match the altar, font and pulpit I built for our church last year.
  2. Finish the floor to ceiling shaker inspired cabinets I started in our bedroom 3 years ago. :rolleyes:
  3. Finish the trim work around all the new windows and doors I installed in our house 2 years ago.
  4. Start on the livingroom furniture I've been promising the LOML for 10 years.
  5. Rip out the ugly pink tile on our fireplace (previous owner) and replace it with a proper A&C mantel.
Hmmmm. That should keep me busy for a while! :rofl:

Last edited:
whew, this is a 'toughie'

I've been 'between shops' for awhile now, so my goals is to either build or rent another shop space in the next couple of months. I'm loathe to invest at this house, as I am planning on moving with the year. I was toying with the idea of a utility structure on skids, or one of the utility trailers which construction companies use for 'office' spaces on site. for now, though I'm going to find space for my scrollsaw in the house somewhere and get a sawdust fix that way in the near future.

OK, I guess that I will publicly commit myself to:

• Mastering re-sawing on my bandsaw. I learned a bit more about this in 2006, but I still have a long way to go.

• Becoming much better at sharpening my tools.

• Deciding upon either a ‘shaper’ or a router-table-with-big-router then buying and mastering same.

• Changing the blades in my jointer and planer.

• Building a woodworking bench.

• (its mostly stone and brick work but) Finish the restoration of our back yard following the destruction caused by the building of my shop.

• Building at least one toy for every child on my birthday/Christmas list.

• Building something nice for Margaret (I know what but can’t say because she sometimes reads this forum).

I will re-visit this list next year this time and comment on how well that I did.

Good for you Jim. I wish you every success.

I built a roll around for my TS with an extension on it for a router table about a yr. ago. I plan on finishing it up and if I can come up with enough scratch I would like to build a lawn glider to put under our big trees. Probably make a few more pens.

DK

1. Stop fine tuning my pretty well completed one car garage workshop and actually build something that's not related to my shop.

2. Build built in office furniture for my business.

3. Build something for my wife who keeps reminding me of how ticked I would be if she was to buy something I could build.

4. Make gifts that are wood for Christmas next year.

5. Buy a Tormek sharpener with all the gizmos.

6. Read more of the umpteen woodworking books I've bought over the years.

7. Buy some nice planes. Currently have only really crappy ones I never use.

8. Figure out if I really should buy a dedicated mortiser even though I've got a Leigh Frame and Mortiser Tenoning unit which I have yet to use.

9. Build a new shed in the backyard for when I need to do WW stuff out there.

10. Build a deck for the backyard with fancy stuff using the shop equipment for such fancy stuff.

This is the list of what I "want" to do, not necessarily what I "need" to do.

1) Finishing cleaning up the new shop( twenty years of abuse on the old building and lots of garbage)

2)Get some nicer tools, bandsaw,jointer tablesaw and tons of clamps.

3) Build a bed for the wife.

4) Build a buffet for a freind.

5) Try to get a few more pieces refinshed for customers

6) Shrink the size of the "HONEY-DO" list, if possible.:huh:

Well this is most of it for now. Should keep me nice and busy for a while.

Build some real furniture.

The Thomas the Tank train table was nice but I do not consider it furniture.

I am going to build the Stephen Lamont table from Craftsman Style furniture book.

The router table is just about done. I am sanding it rite now ( really just took a break to answer phone ). So it gets 3 coats of Poly, my standard shop finish.

I have to rearrange a little bit to find a home for it, but that is no big problem.

I think I have all the tools I need. Not that I want !!! :)

I do want to try hand cut dove tails. Frank Klausz really makes this look simply. So I need a saw and a scribe.

There is always work to be done in the shop. A couple more 220V drops and may two more 110v lines, one for tools and one for more lights.

So I am looking forward to 2007.

Well, I just finished having my new shop built. I have been chugging away at work tables and beginning to start on the cabinets/counters and work stations. I am VERY slow working these days. A weekend project for me is more like three months. (And I'm retired!)
I would like to get my shop cabinets and the counter for the radial arm saw/miter saw built.
The main thing I want to do is find someone who can install my DC piping for me. That I am not going to be able to do. Folks around here are scarce for that kind of work.
I would like to be pretty much done with the shop by the end of the year. Although I enjoy working on it as much as I do making something else. :D

Whereabouts are you located, Don? Maybe someone here could help out (or knows someone who could help out) with the DC piping.

Goals for 2007?

1. Build the cabinets in the guest room to create a true window seat.

2. Build computer desks and file cabinets for the in-house office and get rid of the plywood "creature" sitting on two mismatched metal file cabinets.

3. Recarpet the house (OK, this doesn't count as woodworking but it's the LAST thing we want to do to the house and it will be DONE!)

4. Turn and sell more pens; move on into other turnings like bottle stoppers, letter openers, etc. Then..move on into other things like bowls, platters, and vases.

5. Build up the business - laser engraving and woodworking seem to mesh well.

6. RETIRE!!! December 31, 2007, is the last day of the 5-day-a-week rat race. It's going to be nice going to "work" in my pj's.

Nancy

Having finally gotten to the point where I've got almost every tool I want (yes, at the bottom the slope levels off) ...And hey, if anyone has a matched set of rule-joint planes they're willing to part with - that's the last thing on my wishlist! PM me with your price, please :D
Hah, Ian--that's just a ledge before the slope continues!

For myself, I liked the part of Paul Cresti answer concerning a vacation. I want to be able to take a vacation--and my goal for that isn't as big as Paul's. Anywhere outta Dodge suits me right now. But for long enough it actually feels like a vacation.

Realistically, I want the biz to grow to a point I don't feel I have to work morning noon and night. Every day. Day in and day out. Which reminds me, I have to get back to the shop...

Take care, Mike

no vacations here:eek: .......i`d just like to finish any of the 714 personal projects on my plate.....darn folks wanting to pay for my shop time keeps me in dutch with the family.......maybe in a couple years,.. a vacation.....:rolleyes:

Whereabouts are you located, Don? Maybe someone here could help out (or knows someone who could help out) with the DC piping.

Hi Vaughn,
I've gotten PM from Nancy as well on this. This is a wonderful place. I live in Starke, FL. half way between Jacksonville and Gainesville. My email is listed in my contact information.
Please allow me to say, I have the funds to have this done. The problem is finding someone who understands the system and what must be done. I would be highly indebted to anyone who might take on the challenge.

Thank you so much

Don