motar and pestle

Hey all my bro wanted me to make him a motar and pestle,as he broke the ceramic one he's had for years. he grows a lot of his own herbs and wanted one to crush them up. this is what i came up with. it's made of purple heart,maple,jacoba,and mahogany. not the best pics but o well. it's only my 2nd seg turning.
Steve

Attachments

• 002 [640x480].JPG
    002 [640x480].JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 003 [640x480].JPG
    003 [640x480].JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 004 [640x480].JPG
    004 [640x480].JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 36
Thanks all.As i said he's had a ceramic one for years,and when he broke his, he started looking for another. He got online and found a lot of them but, the one he liked the best was made buy the shakers out of wood. As he knows i have a lathe and have been trying to learn how to do these seg turnings,he asked if i'd give it a try. I didn't even think about being food sake,as he will just be crushing dryed herbs.
Steve

Great colours Stephen!! And a good looking set of kitchen tools. If that's only your second segmented turning you're well ahead of the learning curve.

cheers eh?

John

Nicely done, Stephen. A mortar and pestle was one of the first things I ever turned...way back in high school. My sister still has it. ;)