Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Plywood Box Builders

Question for the Plywood Box Builders

I am starting to make a plywood piece for my kids playroom. It will be mostly ply except for the trim pieces and will be 24" deep. One side will have cubbies going 12" deep then the other size adjustable shelves 12" deep. I'm going to put a piece of 1/4' ply in the middle somehow to break them up.

My question is regarding the dado's for the cubby shelves. I planned on making stopped dado's being I am only going 12" in but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square. Is it as simple as a chisel? Never Chiseled plywood before but I would imagine it would be difficult to keep looking clean.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    I am starting to make a plywood piece for my kids playroom. It will be mostly ply except for the trim pieces and will be 24" deep. One side will have cubbies going 12" deep then the other size adjustable shelves 12" deep. I'm going to put a piece of 1/4' ply in the middle somehow to break them up.

My question is regarding the dado's for the cubby shelves. I planned on making stopped dado's being I am only going 12" in but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square. Is it as simple as a chisel? Never Chiseled plywood before but I would imagine it would be difficult to keep looking clean.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

How thick is the plywood?

What kind of plywood?

Do you have a SHARP 1/4" chisel ?

I think it would not be hard to do a good job with a SHARP chisel, but a router with a straight bit would be even easier.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    I..but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square.
    Brian

If I understand your question you are talking about using a router to cut the dado but then want to square off the stopped end??

If this is the case then, yes, it is a simple as a chisel. There are special chisel gizmos sold which have a right angled blade mounted on a block and if you were gonna make a hundred of these you might be worth buying one. The truth is if you are doing it every now and then, then a good sharp chisel will achieve exactly the same result.

Huh, when he said "Stopped Dados" I made the assumtion of a dado stack in a TS....

Whoops...........

ah........what Ian said

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Huh, when he said "Stopped Dados" I made the assumtion of a dado stack in a TS....

Whoops...........

ah........what Ian said
    And there, ladies and gentlemen, is cultural conditioning in action - because a dado stack never even entered my mind!!

I should have given more info but yes with a router and yes I was referring to cleaning up the stopped end.

It will be 3/4" plywood. My local wholesaler I buy from has this very nice aspen core maple faces ply that machines very well and is relatively void free. My only concern with the chisel was splintering but I'll give it a try. I guess it's time to put those new water stones to work first.

Thanks all.
    Brian

yup, good ol` chisel is the answer....tod

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Chisel

Hey Brian,
    I would go with the chisel. If you are concerned about splintering, you can cut a line with a knife before you start with the chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley View Post
    And there, ladies and gentlemen, is cultural conditioning in action - because a dado stack never even entered my mind!!
    It's okay Ian, you know those Canadians.

The only ones worse are them damn Californians.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    Hey Brian,
    I would go with the chisel. If you are concerned about splintering, you can cut a line with a knife before you start with the chisel.
    Thanks for the idea on the knife, didn't think of that. I was thinking of maybe a square guide block that the back of the chisel would ride along to keep it from moving around but your idea is better.

Thanks all for the help. Now I get to use all my new green tools this weekend
    Brian