Question for the Plywood Box Builders

Brian Gumpper

I am starting to make a plywood piece for my kids playroom. It will be mostly ply except for the trim pieces and will be 24" deep. One side will have cubbies going 12" deep then the other size adjustable shelves 12" deep. I'm going to put a piece of 1/4' ply in the middle somehow to break them up.

My question is regarding the dado's for the cubby shelves. I planned on making stopped dado's being I am only going 12" in but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square. Is it as simple as a chisel? Never Chiseled plywood before but I would imagine it would be difficult to keep looking clean.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

I am starting to make a plywood piece for my kids playroom. It will be mostly ply except for the trim pieces and will be 24" deep. One side will have cubbies going 12" deep then the other size adjustable shelves 12" deep. I'm going to put a piece of 1/4' ply in the middle somehow to break them up.

My question is regarding the dado's for the cubby shelves. I planned on making stopped dado's being I am only going 12" in but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square. Is it as simple as a chisel? Never Chiseled plywood before but I would imagine it would be difficult to keep looking clean.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

How thick is the plywood?

What kind of plywood?

Do you have a SHARP 1/4" chisel :D ?

I think it would not be hard to do a good job with a SHARP chisel, but a router with a straight bit would be even easier.

Cheers!

I..but am trying to decide on the best way to clean up the ends and make them square.

Brian

If I understand your question you are talking about using a router to cut the dado but then want to square off the stopped end??

If this is the case then, yes, it is a simple as a chisel. There are special chisel gizmos sold which have a right angled blade mounted on a block and if you were gonna make a hundred of these you might be worth buying one. The truth is if you are doing it every now and then, then a good sharp chisel will achieve exactly the same result.

I should have given more info but yes with a router and yes I was referring to cleaning up the stopped end.

It will be 3/4" plywood. My local wholesaler I buy from has this very nice aspen core maple faces ply that machines very well and is relatively void free. My only concern with the chisel was splintering but I'll give it a try. I guess it's time to put those new water stones to work first.

Thanks all.

Hey Brian,
I would go with the chisel. If you are concerned about splintering, you can cut a line with a knife before you start with the chisel.

Thanks for the idea on the knife, didn't think of that. I was thinking of maybe a square guide block that the back of the chisel would ride along to keep it from moving around but your idea is better.

Thanks all for the help. Now I get to use all my new green tools this weekend :D