I'm back on the injured reserve list.........

Stuart Ablett

Yep, I'm stuck setting on my be-hind for the next week, daily visits to the hospital for an IV :(

A few days ago, I noticed a clear liquid leaking, sometimes from the center of the scar where one of my ulcers was, it was so little fluid, less than if you shed a tear, so I was thinking "What the heck?"
My leg felt fine, and I've been doing my best to get lots of sleep, no late night Dungeon visits etc, so what gives :huh:

I have an appointment to see the doctor next week for a check on my leg, so I thought that would be fine. Friday around 4 AM I work up, as is my habit, to the call of nature, and to check on my girls (I even do this in the summer when they are in Canada, dunno why but I do) I felt just fine. At 6:30AM my wife's alarm goes off, so she can get up to get the kids off to school, I usually NEVER hear her alarm, but I woke up, and I was freezing cold (it is NOT cold here now, cool, but not cold) I had a good couple of thick wool blankets, usually enough for most of the winter here, in late January there are a couple of weeks when I dig out the down quilt, (remember, we have no central heating here in Japan). My wife piles her 4" thick down comforter on me and I'm still freezing, she takes my temp and I'm at 41.1C :eek: that is about 106F, yep, hot. I took some ibuprofen, and my wife put a cold pack on my head, and under each armpit, in about an hour my temp was way down, like down to 39C (102F). I then laid in bed all day, as I thought I had the flu, it is going around here now. Around 4 PM, when I went downstairs to watch some DVDs, I noticed my leg hurt, I though "Why would my leg hurt?" I pulled up my pant leg, and I saw my leg was an ANGRY Red color......... Oh boy....... :doh:

Off to the doctor, she gave me an IV with antibiotics and was arranging for the ambulance to take me to the hospital, but they did not have any beds at the hospital for me, and it was Friday night you know, they don't check in new patients on Friday after 6PM (which it was now) Geez, don't get sick on the weekend :rolleyes:

My wife took me to the hospital, they took some blood for tests and gave me another IV of more drugs and fluids. My white blood cell count was WAY up as well as my CPR* levels so they were concerned, and wanted to admit me, fortunately, they had no open beds, so after sucking their teeth three times, they sent me home. It helped that I could just about look out the window and point to our building. Today I went back for another IV and blood test, the white blood cell count was down, not a ton, but down, the CPR level was actually up, but not a lot, they figure it will come down by tomorrow. As the CPR level had NOT come down, they want me back in tomorrow, Sunday, for another IV. I've avoided the hospital ward so far, and I really, REALLY do not wish to go there again, anytime soon.

Of course we are really busy, and my long suffering wife has to take up my slack, and it really burns me up that she has to.

I'll be embarking on a lifestyle change here in the next few weeks, I'm only 44 years old, I should be in way better shape than I am.

I guess this is sort of a wake up call, I do not know if this whole infection with my leg is due to me being about 100 pounds overweight, but it cannot be helping things.

So............. how was your day :wave:

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, everyone's support is greatly appreciated.

Stu

C-Reactive Protein: CPR is an acute phase that is produced by the liver in response to the elevated levels of the cytokines, such as interleukin-6 that accompany acute inflammation. CRP levels rise within 6 h of an inflammatory stimulus and double every 8–9 h thereafter. The clearance rate of CRP is constant, with a serum half-life of about 24h.

Sorry to hear that Stu, but on the bright side it seems that we need to stop and rest the most when we don't have time. Perhaps your down time can help you recharge.

As for your wife's added load, perhaps you can get a maid or some sort of hired help for the week to kind of ease the load ??? We did that when Patty was on bed rest for a few months due to a bad pregnancy. It may not be in the cards but its a suggestion that worked for us.

:(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:
Man, that has got to be frustrating! Sorry to hear it. Here's praying for a speedy recovery!

(Geez, did the doctors leave something inside last time they were poking around? How else are you getting an infection starting inside your leg!? :dunno: )

Try not to go stir-crazy! :crash:

...art

Thank you Travis

We are blessed with two wonderful daughters, they also help, in fact tonight we have a delivery to do, yes at nearly 10 PM, to a local festival, my wife knows that she cannot take a cart into the crowd to deliver the beer, so she took the two girls to carry a case of beer each (three cases for delivery). Otherwise we would really be in trouble.

Just got to love retail :rolleyes:

Take it easy Stu, now that you have all those new toys to play with, that darn leg starts messing again.:)

I understand how frustrating makes you feel not being able to help your wife, but take it on the positive side.

It is making you to rethink your lifestyle and I think it is good.
I agree that being in better shape would help you and getting rid of that extra weight will help a lot, after all you went to Japan to learn martial arts didn't you?

Take care and do not underestimate those ulcers, they take long to heal.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

The only bright side there id that you dont have to stay in the hospital. I spent a week getting IV antibiotics a couple years ago and was ready to pull my hair out from boredom. Nothing to do between the IV bottle every 6 hours but watch TV. I'd much rather done it the way you're doing it. At least you get to sleep in your own bed and do some of your normal routine. Hang in there.

Stu, that stinks! So sorry to hear of the flare up. Hopefully a week of IV w/antibiotics will get you going. I bet they keep you on oral antibiotics for a while. If they don't, maybe you should suggest it, to keep this thing licked until it really heals. It could be that the body is attacking the scar tissue, thinking it is a foreign enemy. But that initial body temp is scary.
Get well! Jim.

Stu, Sorry to hear that. It gets old setting on your butt and watching TV for days, doesn't it? Get well soon! Maybe it's the gods of reciprosity making things even for all those awsome tool aquisitions you've scored lately;). 106 degree temp?!!! Man, I feel like I've been hit by a train when I get a temp of 101! I'ts good to have a supporting family. Don't feel too bad about your wife if she's anything like mine, she's in her glory when she's nursing me or the kids when we're sick. Hang in there! Barry

Like you, I do not make a good sick person; I have things to do :mad:. I have learned that I will get back to them faster (even if painfully slow) by doing what I should do to get through the ailment.

I too was in my mid-forties when I realized I was going to be roamig around this rock for quite a while yet and I would just as soon do it feeling good as feeling crummy. Take that wake-up call serously and turn it into a good thing. You owe "you" in good health, to your kids, your wife and yourself. Please get better soon.:)

Stu,
I hope you're on the mend. I hate to see a good man down. Now is the time to start reading up on CNC operations!

Wes

Stu, we are all hoping and praying you get well soon.
That 106 degrees is scary high. Very scary high.
Do you have peripheral neuropathy? e.g. can you feel touches and pain in the leg?
Sounds like you will be taking a lot of high octane anti-biotics for some time. There will be side consequences to that but preferable to what might happen without them.
Keep us informed. Good luck.

you got sick in xmas season and youre in retail?

Oh man, dont you know that youre not allowed to get ill from Nov 15th till january 2nd?

You still got a few days, so pump in the iv and antibiotics, and get well quickly.

from someone whos been in your shoes, very similar shoes, retail, overweight, ill, stressed out during holidaytime, dont rush things.
Dont try to shift your entire lifestyle in the next few weeks, get through the busy season first, then when things are calm, sit down and decide what is the best path for you to follow. Worst time of the year to make lifesytle decisions.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, your support, humor and good wishes make a difference.

I feel fine, which is what really drives me nuts, but I got to sit, leg up, with an ice pack on the infected area all day long, and if you think setting around watching TV all day is boring, try Japanese TV, I think they leave it on in the prisons here as extra punishment :eek:

Oh well, I've got some really good books to read............ Like the South Beach Diet :D :wave:

I am sorry to read about this, Stu. Unfortunately I have some experience with what you are going through.

About 20 years ago I came down with a case of necrotizing fasciitis in my left leg that started much the same way as you described. I had a soft, red hot spot above my ankle that was oozing a little clear liquid. In just a few hours I had redness spreading up to my knee. I went to the doctor and he had me transported via ambulance to the hospital. I began intravenous penicillin treatments every 4 hours. Let me tell you, penicillin intravenously burns like fire while it is going in. I stayed in the hospital for 15 days and lost a nice chunk of flesh to the rot in my leg. I will never forget the smell.... It was later confirmed to be some kind of Streptoccus infection.

It all began with a scrape on my leg where I dropped a piece of firewood and failed to clean it with soap and water and an antiseptic. The scrape had healed and was long gone when the little red spot appeared. The doctor said that is why it is important to clean and wash the area around any skin break as you never know what kind of bacteria to which you may have been exposed. And also be sure to apply some antiseptic, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, merthiolate, something to kill bacteria.

I hope you are recovering. I know how much of an inconvenience this is to someone as active as you are and how it must be a terrible thing for your business but first and foremost is your health. Get well soon and take care of yourself.

Last edited:
Sure sorry to hear of the recurrence, Stu,:( and that HIGH Temp was REAL Scary. Those LEG problems just don't seem to want to go away. The LOML finally got to an out of town clinic (about 130 miles from us) that specializes in all types of leg problems and hers is better, but will still take at least a year to clear up, IF she religiously follows their treatment regimen. She has to wear a specific numbered compression hose, and take a break at work and sit with her leg propped up for at least 10 minutes every morning and afternoon, and then anytime she is sitting for a while at home. There is also two stages of creme to apply twice daily.

I'm sure a weight loss would help, but you may have to schedule a couple of "leg Prop" breaks every day after you get back going again also. Take care of yourself (and try not to get TOO Bored.:thumb: