Neat way to do a shop tour

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't my shop, but thought it would be a cool way to do a shop tour. I found the site after taking a class on panoramas.

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=5669

Click on the pics below the main picture to zoom in to those snapshots.

The pics were done using a robotic tripod device that can be programmed to take up to 360 degree pics. It increments and takes high resolution pictures one by one, then the software will merge and display them as one pic. When you zoom in, the pics for that section are loaded and load gradually to de-pixilate and become clear.

That's slick. :thumb: I have a buddy who was doing 360º VR tours for real estate agents and other commercial clients back in the late 90s, back when Quicktime VR was just getting off the ground.

I like the way the Gigapan stuff presents it. And $279 is not too outrageous of a price for the robotic part.

I do stand corrected Bill.

My post should now read:

Nice shop; What a great use of space, it's extra convenient with the garage door available to move stuff in and out.

Better Bill?.

I do stand corrected Bill.

My post should now read:

Nice shop; What a great use of space, it's extra convenient with the garage door available to move stuff in and out.

Better Bill?.
I like the original version just fine! :thumb:

That's the way I had to work for many years before we moved to our place in Georgia. ;)

They rent the Gigapan device at the shop I took my class, too bad I don't have a shop worthy of a 360, though I'm sure there would be plenty to look at in all the clutter.

The guy said it was still a beta product, the battery was held in place with a block of styrofoam.

Hey Darren,
I clicked on the link for your website, I was wondering what you can tell me about your CNC router? Did you make it from plans, or was it a kit, or purchased ready to run??

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

Head over to cnczone.com and check out the jgro router plans. I used the HobbyCNC controller kit. Cost me about $300 with the kit, motors, and materials to build, but was educational. I use kcam windows based softare to run it.

Been collecting parts to build a much bigger and faster cnc. Hopefully starting on it this winter, just need to settle on some plans.

PM me if you have further questions.