Storage question....

How many of you keep those plastic tool cases that come with your tools? I looked at a pile of them in the shop and think how many are usually empty because the tool is usually elsewhere. I was thinking that now that I'm getting some storage together that I'll dump most of them and just put the tool in a drawer. What are you doing with them?:dunno:

Aloha:wave:

How many of you keep those plastic tool cases that come with your tools? I looked at a pile of them in the shop and think how many are usually empty because the tool is usually elsewhere. I was thinking that now that I'm getting some storage together that I'll dump most of them and just put the tool in a drawer. What are you doing with them?:dunno:

Aloha:wave:
Mine went out at a yard sale - $1 each. Sold them all! Have not the slightest idea what others might do with the.:dunno::huh:

I kept the one for my sawz all and trim router. Every thing else has been put on a shelf or in a drawer. Most of the cases are not meant to have the tools put back in unless you are good at shoe horning them.:D

I have saved a few that I use for storing other things, like screws and cutter bits. Fact is, I take my Dremel and cut the molded inner panels out so I have a nice open box. That works for me (photos later)

Hey Royall, check your e-mail.

Aloha, Tony

I use some and toss some. Items that stay in their cases in a storage cabinet are:
Framing nailer
Brad nailer
Pin nailer
Routers -- 1617EVSPK with motor in each base.
Sawzall
Screwdriver set
Nutdriver set
Dremel
Pop riveter

Im going to put them under my home in the crawl space.
I dont throw them out simply because whenever I upgrade, Ill get rid of them, and I believe people in general pay more money for used tools that come with the original cases and instruction booklet.
It also usually eliminates their suspicion that the tool might have been stolen off a job site.(I dont think crooks ask the owners for the instruction manuals)

now, they just take up valuable space where I could be storing wood.

I dont want to give vaughn any ideas, but they make a great backstop for my pellet rifle when Im bored and shoot wooden blocks up on the rafters. Keeps the pellets from damaging anything else up there.

Last edited:
Most are over the rafters waiting for the garage sale. Ones I keep are jigsaw, dremel, pinner and nailer just because there are lotsa little things that go with them and they all fit in the cases provided. This is not always the case (no pun intended) as some cases are over-done or are too sparse; those hit the highway.

I keep mine, because I use them both at home in and out of the shop, and doing projects for friends around town OR for my daughters (350 miles away) and it eliminates damage in transit, AND keeps me from leaving some smaller items at other places when I finish a project. IF I don't find another storage use for them when I wear a tool out, I then discard the case with the tool, (that is WHEN I finally DO give the "Final Rites" to a tool).:rolleyes::D

Yes and no.

Router boxes are still here but are getting ugly to look at. Sircular saw is in use as I keep the saw in there. Drill boxes have been converted to hold my Pnumatic staplers (they came in a cardboard box) one for the 1/2" crown and another for the 1/4" crown Brad gun is in its own. Jig saw is stored in its own. Been looking hard at tossing the Plate Joiner box, as I keep it in a drawer.

I am 50/50 about this too. On the one hand I am a packrat so I find it hard to throw anything away. On the other now I have a shop they are taking up space. I think its time they go. But as soon as I toss then out sure enough there will be a reason I need them..:rofl:

Interesting comments. I like the idea of hanging on to the box for "traveling", and especially if I sell a tool down the road. I have a lot of storage space so that isn't a problem; remembering were they are stored may be the problem.

Black Storage Cases

I think my feeling are a little bit of everybody elses. I keep ones that I might go out and help a friend with a favor, like the cordless drill, sawsall. Others I have stored way up out of reach on top of cabinets, close to ceiling. I personally cant stand them around. One idea for me was to go through my automotive tools and get out extras of everything and put them in a case and make my regualar tool box look like it has some kind of organization to it. Only because I dont have a very big tool box.

I am 50/50 about this too. On the one hand I am a packrat so I find it hard to throw anything away. On the other now I have a shop they are taking up space. I think its time they go. But as soon as I toss then out sure enough there will be a reason I need them..:rofl:

I keep mine only because I hate waste. Doesn't make sense they will just end up in the landfill someday anyway.

But as soon as I toss then out sure enough there will be a reason I need them..:rofl:

That is the curse that keeps shops so full of "stuff" there is no room to work. I am genetically pre-disposed to be a packrat and fight it everyday of my life with reasonable success :rofl:.

Since I store the smaller power tools in the basement and use them in the garage/shop on a project I keep the majority of them in the cases. The cases are lined up on a 3" high shelf to keep them off the floor. If I ever have a permanent shop setup then the tools and accessories being stored on shelves in cabinets makes sense.

I just had to roll the machinery back out of the way - it's raining and the LOML wants her car in the garage tonight.

I would still keep the cases - people garbage pick a tool from the curb 2x faster it it's in the case. Sort of my own freecycle . . .

Cheers

Jim