lidded oak bowl

Frank Fusco

I don't know if I should call this a bowl, hollow form or box. No matter, it is made of a hunk of oak I picked up off the free pile at my woodturning club. I hollowed out with my Don Pencil tool (have I told you about my Don Pencil hollowing set? :D ) . The top is concave and lacking a dognut chuck or other proper reverse chucking arrangement I used a makeshift jammer as my expanding chuck wouldn't reach the opening. The top is purpleheart with an osage orange knob. It has a couple misteaks :( so isn't much of a bragger but it helped me get the hang of the hollowing tools. There will be more to come in '07.

Attachments

• oak bowl.jpg
    oak bowl.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41
Looks good Frank. The color combination really makes it stand out, that's for sure! You are a trooper for tackling the hollowing on that Oak.........talk about a workout, and a few trips to the grinder! Regardless, it is good practice, and that's what it takes to get the hang of those Pencil tools.

So, how do you like those Don Pencil Hollowing Tools? :D :eek: :thumb:

Looks good Frank. The color combination really makes it stand out, that's for sure! You are a trooper for tackling the hollowing on that Oak.........talk about a workout, and a few trips to the grinder! Regardless, it is good practice, and that's what it takes to get the hang of those Pencil tools.

So, how do you like those Don Pencil Hollowing Tools? :D :eek: :thumb:

Yeppers, oak is not my favorite turning material. I class hard woods as: hard but nice to turn; and hard and difficult to turn. I won't be doing much with oak on the lathe.
Let me tell you about my Don Pencil hollowing tools........;)