The Ultimate Flammable Storage

This is a serious question I have had for some time. All this talk about shooting stuff and storage has got me thinking about the extreme side of each of these issues.

Now my friend came upon some serious stuff. A relative had just sold his house and as he talked with the owner, the man mentioned that his boy had ADHD, at which my friend said, "well you don't want this up here then," and reached up in the rafters and pulled down a case of dynamite and a matching case of blasting caps. Neither were full cases but its well over half full.

So he threw them in his truck and had them there for quite some time until one day he had to go to Walmart. As he got out of his truck he could not help but notice the two boxes in red and white colors loudly proclaiming "explosives" and and could picture some do-gooder seeing the boxes and calling the cops, only to come out and see his truck surrounded with the bomb squad and swat team...so he covered it up with a sweatshirt, did his shopping and decided storing it in the pickup was not a good plan. So he tossed it in the attic of his own shop and there it sits.

Now its all safe. The instructions say it was manufactured in 1983 so its not very old really, and the dynamite itself is in good shape with the sticks looking just as new as the day they were made, but they aren't getting any younger...or more stable for that matter. So this is the question, what do you do with a half case of dynamite and matching blasting caps?

If my friend calls the police, they will surround his house and the whole affair will make the news. Then of course there is the whole chain-of-custody thing which may get people in trouble. I suppose he has the option of touching the whole shebang (pun intended) off himself but the carnage could be more then he bargained for. Then of course doing nothing is not a real option because its not the kind of thing you want hanging around a house really.

I am sure no one really wants the stuff, but I know for darn sure the authorities don't want him to have it. So the question remains, just what do you do with a half case of dynamite and blasting caps these days?

Last edited:
20+ years is kinda old for dynamite. I believe it can get pretty unstable with age.
I would just break open the sticks and scatter the stuff in a garden. Wet down the caps with kerosene and discard.

call the local sherriff who knows him not some federal agency.
we used to use 1/4 sticks for post holes and anybody digging a foundation could run to the quarry and get what they needed.....not any more:eek:

My wife's uncle Melvin & Aunt Rena had to use dynamite when he built his house there was HUGE boulders all over the place (he did have a license) well he had a shed about 1/4 mile from his house & about 20 yrs after he died she went to the shed & noticed a large glass container that had dynamite in it & there was a cloudy clear liquid in it. She called the Police & they dang near had a conniption. They called the bomb squad & the liquid was nitroglycerin so they had to blow up the shed in place to dangerous to move the jar.

My whole point is if he talks to the police & gives it to the bomb squad they will destroy the dynamite.

Last edited:
Back in the late 70's my friends dad keep saying he need to get rid of some old dynamite in their sheep barn that had been there for years. One weekend his parents left for cow camp. There was three of us and we needed something to do. So we thought we would help Howard out with the dynamite. We got it down out of the rafters had a look. Some of the sticks had fallen apart some were still OK best we could tell there was 15 sticks. the caps looked good but the fuse was shot. We carried it about 200 yards to a pond and Harold said how are we going to set it off. I told him like they do on TV, shoot it. He said that wouldn't work, I said yes it will so I went to the house got the 30-06. We set the box a float and Harold started walking away with the gun, he just keep walking walking so I asked him were he was going if it was going to work, he said just in case it does work. He finally stop and shot the box, you should have seen Harold's eyes :eek: wow it does work he said. Water and moss went up in the air 40 feet that box covered every inch of water about a 2 acer pond. I cant remember for sure but I think we were still in grade school when we did this. Sometime later we told Howard that we had gotten rid of the dynamite for him he wasn't to happy with us.
Stacey

stacy did ya get any fish??? thats how they have fished around my parts years ago,,not quite that amount but a smal stick in the lake and go pick up what you need later..lots better than threadin worms:rofl:

stacy did ya get any fish??? thats how they have fished around my parts years ago,,not quite that amount but a smal stick in the lake and go pick up what you need later..lots better than threadin worms:rofl:

No fish in the pond not enough oxygen. I knew some guy's that used the caps in beaver ponds. They said it worked good
Stacey