Pantry Slide Questions

Bill Satko

I am replacing the cabinets in my kitchen.

I know! I have a old thread on this that I have been remiss in not keeping up to date. I promise that I will catch up this weekend with a current posting.

Anyway, back to this thread. My original intent in updating my kitchen was to just upgrade the current materials, but keep the configuration the same. Basically just duplicate what was there, but better, as it would go a lot faster that way.

Well things have changed somewhat because...well because I am an idiot!

I noticed that right next to the refrigerate would be the perfect place for a full depth pantry cabinet giving us a lot more storage. The way the existing lower box widths worked out, with some modification with the uppers I could have a space for this new cabinet. I was not satisfied in a quiet celebration over obviously being more intelligent than the original kitchen designers, but needing the further stroking of my ego I made the mistake of pointing this all out to my wife. Well she jumped all over it and there is no way I can not build this now.:doh:

Now that you know how I got to this point, I will do that and get to the point. Does anyone have any suggestions for pantry slides. I have googled and come up the Fulterer and Accuride. I need to go back to Lowes, because I notice that the slides on the cabinets in their showroom(custom, not boxed sets) show different styles. I think I want to have a top mounted style. Any suggestions on this vs. bottom mounted? I intend to build it so that the entire door slides out. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Bill,
Take a look at the Woodworkers Hardware site. They carry a wide variety of slides, in many styles and configurations.

Ask them for a paper catalog, too, since the website searches can get complicated/confusing.

My personal preference for slides is Knape & Vogt (K-V). They're a very good quality product, and a good bit cheaper than Blum.

I can't remember where I saw it, but one solution to a tall, narrow pantry slide-out is to use heavy-duty ball bearing slides at the bottom and top of a frame. It takes four sets of standard slides or you might be able to do it with undermount slides, again using one under the bottom and another over the top. :huh:

Thanks Bill & Jim for the response and thanks Jim for the link. I did not find what I was looking for there, but I bookmarked the site for future reference. While looking for what I wanted I found the following site:

www.cabinetparts.com

They also had a very good selection of cabinet hardware, including the brand I decided on, Fulterer.

I ran over to Lowe's during the all the traffic with the intention of taking a picture of what I want to duplicate and to show everyone the hardware I was talking about. As I walked into the store I realized my cell phone was dead, so no pictures. I looked very carefully at the construction and what the hardware looked like and when I got home realized that it was the Fulterer FR777 which is a bottom mounted slide with a top mounted guide. It is rated at 450# and it rolls very smoothly. The following is from their website www.fultererusa.com/product.asp?id=34 .

fr777_photo.jpg

fr777_detail_photos.jpg

The photo above is close to how I will construct it, but with a few differences that will strengthen it. I will show all of that when I sketch it up and post it on my kitchen cabinet thread. The cabinet will be 21" wide and 95" tall but only about 68" of the height will slide out, with rest being fixed shelf with its own door.

Surprisingly Rockler carries this very slide and slightly cheaper than www.cabinetparts.com . The link on Rockler's webpage is:

www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=5725&TabSelect=Details

Just as I was about to post this, I saw your posting Glenn. Thanks.

Last edited:
I went back to Lowes to get pictures of the Pantry Cabinet that I will be using as my design basis. The cabinet shown is not not as wide as mine will be, but the details for construction will be the same.

I am just focusing here on the slide out portion of the cabinet which I will refer to as the shelf frame. As you can see below, the shelf frame is just a plywood box with face frames on both sides and the shelves sandwiched between everything. This frame is mounted to both the bottom slide mechanism and the upper glide. The panel door is then attached to the front of the frame.

Lowes Pantry Cab 1.jpg

If you notice below some of the shelves are adjustable. This is a shot of the upper shelf. In the photo above you might notice that the middle shelf and face frames are fixed.

Lowes Pantry Cab 2.jpg

Below is a picture of the upper part of the box.

Lowes Pantry Cab 3.jpg

I really like this design, especially where some of the selves are adjustable. I think it will be very sturdy and able to handle the loads. The only thing I did not like was how they attached the door to the shelf frame box...some kind of plastic clip. I will probably secure it with some other method, but I am not sure what that is as of yet.

I have been "thinking" about making at least ONE unit of this type to use in my shop when I start building the cabinetry, partially because I think it will be space efficient and make the items stored there more readily accessible, AND more importantly to test the design I have in mind for future use in the kitchen remodel for our house. The only "Basic" difference in my design is that I plan to use 4 of the 100 lb rated full extension drawer slides, with one mounted on each side of the top shelf and one on each side of the bottom shelf. I guess you could call it a "Proof of Concept" Test.:huh::D If it works, I think it will save some of the "Unusable Space" required by the type of "Pantry Slides" you show in the attached Pics, AND may be a little less expensive, Buuuuut......who knows. :huh: :dunno: :D It should be a "Learning Experience" either way.:rolleyes:

bill,

not sure if you have a louis and company anywhere close to you, but if you do they are worth checking into. they are usually much cheaper than rockler on guides and such. I don't know if they have that exact guide but I am sure they have something very similiar, maybe just another brand. they should ship to you as well if they are close enough for pickup

here is the link to their site.

http://www.louisandcompany.com/

bill, call them and compare pricing. they ship ups just like anyone else.

i would be willing to bet it would be worth the call.

good luck with whatever you decide.

chris