Watchbox-in progress

allen levine

Wanted to make a couple of boxes, a watchbox, humidor-gifts
Watchbox is for my son.
Figured when I croak, I want him to inherit my watches, the few that Ive purchased over the past 35 years that have any value.

Got alot of mahogany, so why not give it a shot.
I dont do well with tight fitting little things made out of wood.

Had some planed down from table, figured out the size I need.

check out this cool clamp,wood stuff 370 (Medium).jpg not sure if its made for this or strictly cabinets, wood stuff 371 (Medium).jpgbut it worked fine, just had to adjust pressure and tighten down,measured all sides to see if square.
Wanted a small base molding to go around bottom of box, since IM glueing a bottom to walls. Have to make my own molding, so I routed out a few lengths with a profile, maybe cove?(its not like I have a choice, I only have 3 router bits for shaping edges)
Then cut the wood to 2 inches height, and then sliced it as thin as I could get without losing the profile.(about 5/8ths, I was shooting for 3/8s)
Glued up a base, cut out a top, and now I have to let it sit and dry overnight before I continue.

Attachments

• wood stuff 368 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 368 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 49
  • wood stuff 369 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 369 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 59
  • wood stuff 373 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 373 (Medium).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35
  • wood stuff 375 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 375 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Allen,

Nice start to your project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Those Merle clamps are really nice to have around. I bought a couple of them several years ago along with extra corners. I've used them for boxes as well as an octagonal piece I made a few years ago.

I thought I had bought it,(at a garage sale or flea market) but I remembered after I started with this hobby, my neighbor, who does contracting, said he had no use for them, he saw me making boxes he gave it to me. (I never thought Id use it)

I have a simular clamp hanging on the clamp wall, I'll have to give it a try on a box. For some reason I never thought of using it. Been using painters tape as a clamping system on boxes. Thanks Allen

Tom

I thought I had bought it,(at a garage sale or flea market) but I remembered after I started with this hobby, my neighbor, who does contracting, said he had no use for them, he saw me making boxes he gave it to me. (I never thought Id use it)
I don't use mine often, but they come in handy occasionally. Not to hijack your thread, but here's a link to more info on the clamp system.

Looks like it'll be a fun project. :thumb: I got couple of those Merle clamps on sale a year or so ago. Still haven't used them, but at some point I suspect they'll come in handy. Just waiting for the right project.
...I still cant cut a perfect mitre'd corner...

You can, but it just hasn't happend yet. It will. ;)

I breezed through some of the jewerly boxes and other small boxes made by others on this site, and realized whoa boy!
What am I thinking?:dunno:

did ya see jasons maple box? wow.

Alot of you guys should be happy Im posting this thread, cause the value of your boxes will skyrocket when Im done.
Show the wives and girlfriends my box and you'll get your favorite meals for a month straight!

since I started this thread, Ill put a few more pics as it nears completion.

(I can honestly say you guys have been tolerant of my work and postings related to it. )

Didnt feel like wasting any more mahogany to make the inserts.
Used pine, but it will be covered with felt like substance as will the entire inside.
Small pillows will hold the watches.

ONe pic shows as close as I can get and fix the corners.(this is why I dont build small boxes)At least I managed to hold the camera still.

I took a shot so it shows the lid, I routed out a profile on the lid to match the bottom molding profile.(keep the laughing to a minimum)

Im a bit ashamed to ask this question, but Im using small hinges that will have to be mortised into the back and lid.
Ive never mortised a hinge into hardwood(accurately, or at least close enough).
Is there a special technique, using a chisel? Do I make many taps going down the depth I need? I really dont want to mess up the box now.

Attachments

• wood stuff 379 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 379 (Medium).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 46
  • wood stuff 381 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 381 (Medium).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
  • wood stuff 382 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 382 (Medium).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 29
  • wood stuff 383 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 383 (Medium).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 42
  • wood stuff 384 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 384 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Allen, your to hard on yourself...that is an outstanding looking box. I can't wait to see how it looks with some finish on it. Well Done! :thumb:

BTW, you are providing great threads on projects from start to completion....I think everyone on the site appreciates that. Thank You!

Not a thing wrong with your corners, better than I can do :p and as Jeff said, give yourself a break, too rough on yourself, YOU DO GOOD STUFF :thumb:

Tom

see allen it aint jist me tellun ya to be easier on your self... those who say cant never will and those like you who keep tryun will and will do more than they think..as for your hinge question take and postion it where you want it ,,mark it out with a sharp pencil or betteryet and utility knife just mark it, if your hands are that steady then use the pencil..then after you have th eoutline take your chisle and tap the out line with the bevel side to the to part that gonna be gone ..tap it lightly dont want to go to deep your just staing your shape..then go back and take your chisel and tap across the area every 1/8" or so down deeper to get the depth your after not all at once the final thing will be shaving out the final fit..after you get your 1/8 cuts done go back and gently tap themout but be careful near your outside edge that you want to stay there take your time and you can practice on a scrap pieec to get the feel for it ,,after you have done acouple you wil have the methode down pat allen..if you dont understand feel free to ask more questions and like jeff said your the one carrin the ball right now in flat work stuff so we are relying on you :thumb::D

Allen,

You mentioned mortising your hinges, but had you thought about using barrel hinges? I've used them on one box I made and like them because they're concealed when the box is closed.

I ordered a cheap pair of brass hinges. Regular rectangle hinges.
I think I like the non mortise type better, Ill look up a pair,(rocker?)
The box is very plain, a little brass showing is ok.

I rubbed in a coat of Formby's Tung oil(is it really tung oil?)I also rubbed the inside of the box even though its going to be lined, the words of the guy going off in my head saying always do to one side what you do to the other to prevent problems.

I guess the box was thirsty, call it really drank up that oil quickly. Ill let it dry at least 24, probably more before I rub over it.(this pic is the first coat)

Attachments

• wood stuff 389 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 389 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 41
Allen That box looks just fine.Those mitre'd corners look really nice.:thumb:

Gary, I took a board of 1x10 pine and cut it down into 3 inch strips.

Set my mitre saw at 45 Degrees,(bevel) well, it wouldnt set, seems I could not get it to fold down all the way, so I just moved the blade over the table to 45, and kept practicing making 3 inch high pine squares till I got one that fit good.
Now IM going to take a 1 inch thick piece of mahogany, and practice cutting out a mortise.

Im in the middle of repainting and recovering my 25 old kitchen/dinnette chairs dark brown with tan cushions, since the white look went out when I brought the new table in.(My wife wants me to get busy making chairs now)

Its been super busy at work, I have to take the day off from woodworking and hop into work to pat the crew on the back and tell them what fine job they are doing.

Tell him you are burying time in it :thumb:

Looks good to me, nice looking wood too. The point of the box is the watches, not the box, so I think a nice simple, tasteful box is what is called for, and you are achieving that :clap:

Good luck on the hinges, I agree with Larry, practice a few, you would not want to damage your fine work so far :wave: