New Double Decker Grinder Stand Build

Stuart Ablett

One thing about moving the iCarver on that platform beside the lathe is that I've lost the spot for my grinder that I use to sharpen my lathe tools.

Before I had it on a very good, solid stand that I built, out of an old car wheel, it was good and solid, but, it was not easy to move around and it got in the way all the time :doh:

Here is the stand with the slow speed 8" grinder and high speed 6" buffer...........

old_stand_frame.jpg old_grinder_stand2.JPG old_grinder_stand1.JPG old_grinder_stand3.JPG

OK, I would like to copy, to a point the set up, but not the base it was just too much in the way all the time, being not easy to move around.

three_grinders.jpg
I have three grinders, the small one is not of much use as it bogs down really quickly, so I'll be using the the 8" slow speed grinder for sharpening my lathe tools, and the 6" high speed grinder, for a buffer and power honing machine.

I'm thinking of a cabinet style base, with the two machines on top, one above the other.

grinder_stand_front.jpg grinder_stand_left.jpg grinder_stand_right.jpg grinder_stand_back.jpg grinder_stand_back2.jpg
This is a mock up of the position of the two machines.

I want to keep the footprint as small as possible, but I worry that unit would end up top heavy, so I'm also thinking of putting a bag or two of concrete into the base of the cabinet.

I need to knock up a quick SU model, since I have time on my hands, I might as well.

So, what do you think of my idea so far?

:wave:

OK, here is a quicky SU rendering............

SU_Grinder_Cabinet_1.jpg SU_Grinder_Cabinet_2.jpg

I left a 10cm space in the bottom for a bag of concrete, that would help offset the top heavy nature of the cabinet. For simplicity sake, I put doors on the front of the grinder cabinet, in reality, I'd put a set of drawers in the front of the cabinet, shallow ones on top, and deeper ones on the bottom, add the extra grinder stones to the bottom drawers to add more weight. I'd use at least 3" casters, the 2" ones don't bump over the irregularities in the floor well enough. :D

The top space would be for the 8" grinder, and the inlet space in the back, would be for the 6" buffer/honing machine. I'd run the power cables inside, and out the bottom, or side with an extension type cord.

What do you think of this idea now?

I need a solution for my grinder, I don't need it today, but I do need one, thoughts and critics welcome :thumb:

Cheers!

Do you have any concerns about getting grinding dust on the buffing and honing wheels? You've already used the two machines in a similar configuration, so maybe you've already discovered it's not a problem.

Oh, and seeing as how you're supposed to be recuperating and such, I'm guessing you had the girls go down to the Dungeon, set up the mock-up, and take pics for you? ;) :p

I did not find the dust got on to the honing wheel, or the buffing wheel, any that did would soon be flung off when the buffing machine was started up, as the rouge that I have is not that wet, it is quite dry.

I went down to the Dungeon to get some things for Emiko, while there I got to thinking about something I could do while resting, working this problem was the something I came up with, but I needed some measurements etc first.

Cheers! :wave:

Stu, wouldn't it be easier and just as convient to mount each of the three in a triangular fashion (back to back to back) and devise a turn table (lazy Susan) so that you can rotate the top and place the grinder/buffer you want in the working position. You can easily devise a locking device if you are worried about it turning whilst grinding is underway.

Could use the same stand as you already have, mount a turntable ontop and be in business in no time (almost) Footprint stays the same, all componants in one location.

Just my take on the whole Idea.

Bill, the three grinder triangle would have quite a large footprint, and I don't really use the little grinder at all, it has become a paper weight :dunno:

Well, I stole a couple of hours yesterday, I had to go down there to the Dungeon for some "cleaning up, throwing stuff out" time, if I ever want to fit the new SawStop in there, and the big garbage day was looming, when I got that done, I sat back foot elevated, with an icepack on my leg, and did some more noodling on the build. I then proceeded to cut up some plywood and get out the dado blade and make this up......

dry_fit1.jpg dry_fit2.jpg
The "Shelves" are actually the drawer bottoms, I'm making the kind of simple drawers that the bottom of the drawer is fits into a dado and act as the drawer slides.

I ordered the casters today, should be here tomorrow or the next day, even got them on sale :thumb:

I hope I can get back down there today to get some gluing done and get the drawers done too. I limit myself to 1 hour of work and 15 minutes sitting, foot up, with the icepack, so far, my leg is doing very well, just a but pink, but not the angry red it was, swelling is just about gone too, and I'm taking my antibiotics right on time each day.

Cheers! :wave:

Stole some more time today :rolleyes: :D

I got the stand basically done, I still need the casters, and I need to route the wires somehow, but I got it basically done.

grinder_cabinet_drawers.jpg
Here are the drawers in place...

grinder_cabinet_drawers_stacked.jpg
Simple drawers, but they are quick to make, and they work :thumb:

grinder_cabinet_glue_up.jpg
I got to use my loverly Bessey clamps on the glue up :D

grinder_cabinet_drawers_installed_1.jpg grinder_cabinet_drawers_installed_2.jpg
Here the cabinet is all glued & screwed together, with the drawers in place, now for some drawer fronts........

grinder_cabinet_drawer_fronts.jpg
Again, nothing fancy, but they work.

grinder_cabinet_drawers_knobs.jpg
I did not have four knobs the same, so I used two pairs :dunno:

grinder_cabinet_ready_1.jpg grinder_cabinet_ready_2.jpg grinder_cabinet_ready_3.jpg
Here is the stand with the two grinders installed, I think this is going to work out well, not quite as small a footprint as I'd like, but this should work well.

Thanks for looking! :wave:

So what,,, Stuart, the great wood turner couldn't turn two more drawer pulls to match the two he had???

(I just had to say that):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding my friend. Hope you really are feeling much better. Don't over do it.

Aloha, Tony

:wave: We did something similar last year with the honing unit directly under the grinder.

Grinder02.jpgGrinder03.jpg

It was meant to go behind the lathe, beside the main working area. Unfortunately, even though it's on casters, it still gets in the way when working on longer stuff. The grinder bench is 20x40 (~50x100cm).

Grinder01.jpg

I'm thinking of mounting it, or both, on a pipe under the tool rack, so it can slide to where ever it's needed, or out of the way. And rotating the entire assembly for a smaller footprint (less than 12" deep including the jig).

Grinder04.jpgGrinder05.jpg