CMS or SCMS Suggestions and Preferences?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not seriously shopping yet, but I'm looking at replacing my $99 Delta Shopmaster miter saw with something a bit better, but I still need it to be relatively small and lightweight, so I can store it in a cabinet when not in use. I'm more interested in accuracy than capacity. If I set the saw at an angle, I want it to stay there until I change it. I don't do a lot of flatwork, so I have a hard time justifying one of the higher-end models.

My curiosity was piqued the other day when Barry Richardson posted about a hot deal on this saw for $99. Of course, I started looking around a bit more and saw this one. I like the additional width capacity the little 8 1/2" slider has compared to the 10" non-slider, but I wonder if it would be as accurate. On the other hand, the 10" saw has a 15 amp motor and the 8 1/2" saw has a 9.5 amp motor. Then to add to the confusion, there is this one that's got a 10" blade for not much more money. (It's a recon, but I've had good luck with reconditioned tools.)

So...the questions:

Is an 8 1/2" SCMS too small to be worthwhile?

Is it likely to be dead-on accurate, even on wider cuts?

It is likely to be more accurate than a 10" slider?

Is 9.5 amps enough HP to power an 8 1/2" blade through 2" stock?

Is there something else in the same relative price range that you'd suggest?

Vaughn,

I was in the home despot the other day, buying a couple 8mm screws, which is about all I can afford these days... ;) And rather like some people window shopping for jewelry they can never buy, I went looking to see what tools they had on sale for Christmas. Now, you need to know I already have a DW708, and I'm perfectly happy with it. It's no kapex, but it's mine, and I love it. But...

Across the crowded room I saw, just sitting there, all innocent-like, the ridgid 12" dual bevel sliding compound mitre saw. On sale: special this month: anyone can take it home for $349. Lust filled my heart. I checked the features. Oh, boy. Very, very nice. I searched for arguments, justifications, rationalizations. In the end, I just let out a low whistle and walked away, but with a tinge of wistful regret in my heart... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

...So...the questions:

Is an 8 1/2" SCMS too small to be worthwhile?

Is it likely to be dead-on accurate, even on wider cuts?

It is likely to be more accurate than a 10" slider?

Is 9.5 amps enough HP to power an 8 1/2" blade through 2" stock?

Is there something else in the same relative price range that you'd suggest?

I've had the Hitachi CF8B for about fifteen years, and it's been a rock solid machine.

Dead-on accurate clear across its capacity.

9.5 amps has never seemed inadequate; it's generally cut anything I've put under it.

It's been super reliable. The only parts I've needed over the years have been new brushes - about $5.00, and replaceable from outside the motor in about five minutes. The only 'mod' I've made is removing the plastic kerf guards and replacing them with a wood zero-clearance insert. Oh yeah, and when the Hitachi blade (a pretty good one) finally got dull, I replaced it with a Forrest ChopMaster.

I really think that if/when this one finally dies, I'll replace it with another just like it. I've looked at the 10 and 12 inchers, but really don't see any advantage. Unless you're frequently cutting 4 X 4s, or 6" crown molding, the 8½ incher will do everything you need.

Basically a huge Ditto to what Jim said.

My C8FB was made in 1988, so it is 20 years old, I bought it used, and it still does the 5 cut check dead on, every time.:thumb:

I've got nothing bad to say about it, and the only reason I'm looking at replacing mine is a space issue.

One thing about the 10" over the 8", the 8" weighs 31 pounds, not exactly light, but not heavy, the 10" weighs 43 lbs, that is a fair bit more than the 8".

For that kind of money, yeah, great deal.

Cheers!

I have a DeWalt SCMS and it is all the saw I needed when building the new two story addition on our home. Now once inside and finishing rooms, I bought a cheapie CMS just for the portability of it. So I will throw the "monkey wrench" in your question. For me, both have a place in my shop as I don't think I will ever finish the remodel! :eek::rofl:

Jim - What is the max width the Hitachi CF8B will cut? Of a thin flat item - like soffit material.

It's just shy of a foot. 11½ inches.

It'll nicely cut a 1 X 12 (11¼") or even a 2 X 12.

I seldom cross cut on my tablesaw. The little Hitachi does it all.

It'll do everything that the RAS it replaced would do - and more, with the exception of mounting a dado blade set.

My 10", $99.00, Northern Industrial is a 10.8 amp. It has never been wanting for power.
Personally, I wouldn't go under a 10".
I believe there is a wider price range for CSMS's than any other shop tool.
From those like my under a C-note ones to the $1,300.00 Festool.
I would love to see a side-by-side comparison for accuracy, power, etc.

That Hitachi was my first experience with a SMCS. Is is 14 years ago already? Man, I used the heck out of it on jobsites all over Florida. Loved it, great saw, plenty of capacity and punch, easy to tote around.:thumb:

8-1/2" hitachi has a great reputation and is on sale now for about 3 bills...for a couple hundred more the milwaukee 12" is getting some good press.
i use 10" milwaukees and have no complaints.

Thanks, guys.

Bill, the 12" Ridgid looks nice, but at 85 pounds, it's not a good candidate for storing in a cabinet. Not with my back at least. :) Also, taking blade deflection into account, I suspect the 12" model isn't likely to be quite as accurate as a smaller one.

Jim and Stu (or anyone else), do you know what the differences are between the time-tested CF8B and the new C8FSE? Heard any negatives about the newer model?

Having never used a SCMS, I'm curious how accurate "accurate" is. My Incra miter gauge was the first tool I recall owning that I simply "trust" I know when I set it at 45º. the cut will be exactly 45º. Not 45.2º or 44.8º. I usually don't even bother to check it anymore. Can I expect to put the same amount of "trust" into a SCMS?

Thanks again -

vaughn, i`ll grab either of my old milwaukees and chop dead on with `em...but i can do that with any good saw so long as i can see the blade.