Large PDF file

Aaron Beaver

Is there a way to make a large PDF file, about 13.1 mb, smaller so that it can be emailed. I tried compressing it but that only got it to 12.4 mb or something.

I don't want to break it out in sections if I can get away with it, not sure you can do that with just Adobe Reader anyway. Didn't know if there was an easy way.

Not without Adobe Acrobat itself (not just Reader). And also, not without some compromises in image quality if it applies. Basically you have to save it to a lower resolution.

...another option is to zip it and send it off threw email.
He tried that, and it only reduced it to 12.4 MB. That's still big enough to be hard to e-mail.

As far as I know, Jason's suggestion is the only solution I can think of. And you have my sympathy if you do end up using the full Acrobat product. I've had a love/hate relationship with it for many years...mostly hate.

An easy way would be to print it to two pdf files again by printing half the pages to one file and the other half to another. If you don't have the ability to print to pdf, there is a free one at the link below to install. BTW, there is a toolbar option on the install that can be unchecked if you don't want the tool bar added to your web browser.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

He tried that, and it only reduced it to 12.4 MB. That's still big enough to be hard to e-mail.

As far as I know, Jason's suggestion is the only solution I can think of. And you have my sympathy if you do end up using the full Acrobat product. I've had a love/hate relationship with it for many years...mostly hate.

well mr. Vaughn without having it in frt of me i cant say that it wont get any smaller i was refering to acrobat 9 that has the option of saving as a reduced file size and in my work it has condensed a pdf much more than 1 mg.. but you are more in tune with the pc world and as for condesing it another way stuffit might be better than some others and there again without having it in frt of me i cant say for sure.. i had a ftp site that he drop it on and i couldattempt to make smaller at work if he doesnt get what he is after elsewhere as for the acrobat program it has definatly hindered itself some but if you add pitstop to it then its much more freindly.

I read about an interesting site in a computer magazine in the grocery store the other day. I wasn't sure I would ever have a use for it, but I think it might apply here.

Check out http://drop.io/. From what I understand, you upload your file(s) and you're given a URL and a password that you can share with whomever you like. It looks like you start out with 100MB of space.

Aaron,

If you send it to my gmail address, I can try to fix it...

Thanks,

Bill

that's wlantry
at
gmail
.com

Will your gmail account accept something that large, I tried with Yahoo and it wouldn't let it go through since it has a size limit.

Thanks for all the replies,

It was a book scanned by someone else that was giving it away as a pdf. So it has 224 pages and yes it has photos because the book had illustrations to go along with the text.

oof ... 224 pages - you may not see a ton of "bang" for your buck here ... especially if you have any need for those illustrations. Lowering the resolution can (and usually does) affect the quality of those images and there's a certain point where they just get unreadable.

Frankly, 13mb is pretty good for that many pages if there are pictures on many pages.

Edit: Also, if the book was scanned without OCR processing (turns pictures of words into actual text), then lowering the resolution at all could make the actual text unreadable, too. Given the number of pages and file size you've got already, I doubt this is the case, but I just wanted to throw that out there. :D

Aaron,

Got the file. There's no good way to make it smaller. Click here to open.

You can send your friend that link. If he has trouble downloading, or saving, ask him to right click on the link, and 'save file as'...

It's so big, even google docs won't take it, which is why I had to put it where I did. Please let me know when you're done, so I can take it down. I can easily make an argument this constitutes fair use, but the legs that argument rests on will get shaky if its up there more than a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill, you can take it down. I think I am gonna have someone try to break it down into chapters. Granted that will make 12 or 13 files but at least they can be easily handled.

Last edited: