I was Published

I have an article in the Highland Woodworking "Wood News". It's on how to make a small brass hammer.

Take a look here for the "Wood News" and here for the article.

Mike

PS I get a $100 gift certificate. What I wanted to buy is a PC 390 sander but Highland doesn't carry the PC line. What do you think of the Festool ETS125EQ? It has a brake also. But can you use regular 8 hole sandpaper on the Festool? Or do you have to buy special Festool sandpaper?

...What do you think of the Festool ETS125EQ? It has a brake also. But can you use regular 8 hole sandpaper on the Festool? Or do you have to buy special Festool sandpaper?

Mike,
I've had the Festool sander for about five years, and I really like it. It replaced a PC333, and there's a world of difference twixt the two. Great little tool!

I'm nor sure about other brands of paper, since I've never use anything other than Festool stuff on mine. BTW, The Festool paper is actually 9 hole, not eight. There's a center hole in addition to the usual eight, and the sander's fan blows air out through the center. So, even if the other eight line up, you'll still need to punch out a center hole for optimum performance.

Well done Mike, really great idea. I have a friend that has done me a great deal of favors recently and I have wanted to give him a gift to say thanks. This will be perfect item for him. I will have to get some brass and make one.

Congratulations.

You should use Festool sandpaper, but that's not a problem because it is good sandpaper at a good price and the Festool technology makes it both work better and last longer.

Mike, I like the hammer and have put it on my "someday when I have time" list.

The Festool ETS125EQ was recently reviewed along with many other 6" sanders in the latest Fine Woodworking, the Tools & Shop issue. They considered it to be the best overall. They liked it much better than its big brother the Festool RO150FEQ.

Mike, I like the hammer and have put it on my "someday when I have time" list.

The Festool ETS125EQ was recently reviewed along with many other 6" sanders in the latest Fine Woodworking, the Tools & Shop issue. They considered it to be the best overall. They liked it much better than its big brother the Festool RO150FEQ.
Bill - Do give the hammer a try. I find that I use it quite a bit now that I have it in the shop.

The ETS125EQ is a 5" sander. The one in the FWW review is the ETS150 which is a 6" sander. I'm looking for a 5" sander. The local Woodcraft store carries the Festool line so I'll go there and look at the sander before I buy.

Mike

The ETS125EQ is a 5" sander. The one in the FWW review is the ETS150 which is a 6" sander. I'm looking for a 5" sander. The local Woodcraft store carries the Festool line so I'll go there and look at the sander before I buy.
Mike

Your right! My bad. I would be interested in your impressions of the ETS125EQ.

Congrats and nice article. Whew--for a minute there I thought you were talking about your paper “Forward Error Correction in Optical Networks.”

The first thing I built using a metal lathe and milling machine was an all metal hammer. Aluminum handle, tool steel head. It's not the best design, but it still comes in handy sometimes. That was 30 yrs ago while in college, and it was a great class. We were allowed to substitute the usual intro physics lab for a machine shop class. Boy, was that way more fun.

Don't know about that particular Festool sander since I have the 150/3 but I love it. As others have said, stick with the Festool paper, it's great. I did recently try some Abranet screens after reading about them from Charlie Plesums, and like them too. The 150/3 is extremely smooth and the dust collection, when hooked up to a vac, is fantastic.