Holiday Shop time with Dad

Jeff Bower

This past weekend my family was in Kansas for turkey day at my parents. My dad and I only managed a few hours in the shop, but I was able to turn a few pieces to finish. First I got to try out his hollowing snake or elbow tool. It works fantastic and makes hollowing a breeze! We chucked up a hunk of sycamore and after about an hour came out with this. It's about 6" at the base and 6" tall as well. The walls are right at 1/4" but the neck or rim is a little thicker, boy does a laser guide help with consistency!

After a break we turned to bottle stoppers. My dad has made many of these recently and I see why, they are fun to do and if you get your blanks ready before hand you can get quite a few done in a short time. I know no pics didn't happen, but they aren't finished yet. Will post when they are. As an added bonus, I came home with about 5 walnut blanks and 3 or 4 mulberry...now I just need to order some corks or stoppers....

Attachments

• dffjwzb_56fttpxwcw_b.jpg
    dffjwzb_56fttpxwcw_b.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 20
  • dffjwzb_57d9qxzzfm_b.jpg
    dffjwzb_57d9qxzzfm_b.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 19
  • dffjwzb_59grdt95dd_b.jpg
    dffjwzb_59grdt95dd_b.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 15
I'm normally not a big fan of chunk...but this one is cool. I don't know why...but I can see it with soup or coffee in it. Guess it was a long week at work, but I still like it.

Jeff, nice that you and dad can spend some time turning together, and lucky you to get to test drive the snake :thumb:

Look forward to the bottle stopper pics :wave:

I'm normally not a big fan of chunk...but this one is cool. I don't know why...but I can see it with soup or coffee in it. Guess it was a long week at work, but I still like it.

Jim, it does look like one of those coffee mugs that aren't suppose to spill. Glad you like it!

Stu the stopper pics will have to wait...gotta do some shop cleaing. For some reason, the wife didn't like brushing off snow and scraping windows this morning. Oops! :eek:

OK, here are the bottle stoppers...the 2 on the left were turned on my dad's lathe, oak and walnut and the simple/ugly one, from locust, on the right was done on mine. Not sure I like the yellow rubber stopper, but it does make a good tight fit on a bottle. :dunno: I still need to put the cork in the oak one.

Attachments

• 20081203_0026.JPG
    20081203_0026.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 13