Router in a Table Saw

Roger Martin

Got a few minutes at lunch and was wondering if anyone has built a router table on one wing of their table saw. Because of the size of my shop area, I think that this would be a good way to use my space keep from having another thing to move out to work. Got a aged Craftsman contractor saw with cast web-type wings that I would rather replace with something solid anyway. Any suggestions/plans? What is good material and how do you attach it to the saw? Did a couple of searches here on the forum, but didn't see anything specific.

Router in Table Saw

I did one for my Ridgid TS2400 job site table saw. That is a bit of a different installation than you will want. I suggest you check out the several threads on the Ridgid woodworking forum (http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/index.php) using the search. It has been a frequent topic of discussion.

For my router insert I used a piece of laminate covered particle board from an old desk top, about 1 1/4" thick. It has worked well. I think almost any laminate covered board of reasonable thickness will serve well.

Supporting the router table is likely to be a bit specific to your saw, but the above forum should give you plenty of food for thought.

They are handy and in a small shop that is the way to go.

I added the RT as a wing replacement, then added the wing back,

C-man-TS-Small.jpg

then enclosed the router motor, then built an entire router cabinet that bolts to the saw top . . .

My-RT-Open-small.jpg

I have a new top that I will be swapping in . .. and the beat goes on.

I've done is a couple times, a couple of different ways. My current setup uses a Rockler router table insert that was made to attach to the tablesaw. I'll try to get some pics together later and post them.

My General saw has a cast iron router wing added to it. I drilled and countersunk the top so that I could screw the router base directly to the top instead of using an adaptor plate and generic hardware. I find the screw mount much more stable and free of vibration.

cheers

John

My bad - they're not cast iron but steel. Here's the generals specs on one they did a Freestuff drawing on last month.

Specs:
Steel blanchard ground router extension wing
1.75" X 16" X" ? (depends on what tables saw the winner has (27",28" or 30")
Guarantee flat and parallel
Precision machined miter slot(standard .375" X .750")
Machined insert hole for .250" X 8.25" X 11.75" router plate

Good question Roger :thumb:

When I get my new saw, this will be something that I want to do. I have to ask a couple of questions to the guys that have done this.

Do you use the TS's fence?

One of the reasons I'm looking at getting the long rails on the new saw, is to put a router table in the extreme right side of the saw, and to use the TS fence, I'd put an auxiliary fence on the TS fence, but I'd still use the TS fence as my base. Is this the wrong way to do it? I see Glenn's set up uses a separate fence, and I see the BenchDog set up that Rob linked to also uses it's own fence, just wondering on that point.

Cheers!

I did this years ago on an old Monkey Ward direct drive table saw I had. I installed it in the right wing and it worked very well. At the time I thought I was a great thinker, but then I started reading magazines and such and found I wasn't the only one doing this. I now have a Delta Contractor and haven't done this yet..

One thing I would suggest is to keep the router towards the front or side of the wing. You want to be able to get to the work and out feed is handier than in feed.

And I actually prefer to install the router to whatever top I am using than using an insert.

Garry

For a small shop a TS mounted RT is a great space saver. I've done it on all my saws so far. I use a roll away cabinet for storage and DC beneath the RT. I bought a new saw in August and moved the RT you see here to the new saw....no pics of that setup yet but it's much the same. I use a separate router fence but you can add an attachment to your TS fence. I tend to use the saw fence to square up the RT fence though...

NRT3.jpg

Here's two previous versions:
RT1.jpgGIlayout2.jpg

Last edited:
When you have a small shop, every bit of space gets used. My shop is 10' by 11' so not only do I have a router in one wing of my saw, I have a front vise there, also. Second pix shows the vise in action.

"Ya do what ya gotta do".

Mike

[Oh, to answer Stu's earlier question. You can't really use the saw fence directly because the saw fence is continuous and a router fence needs a space in the center. So I have a fence that I attach to my saw fence that works for the router. The saw fence gives me the ease of adjustment - same as you have on the saw.]

Attachments

• Vise-1.jpg
    Vise-1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Vise-2.jpg
    Vise-2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I see Glenn's set up uses a separate fence, and I see the BenchDog set up that Rob linked to also uses it's own fence, just wondering on that point.

When I had my 30" left/right fence I used the tablesaw fence. Now with the Bies, I use a dedicated fence. I find it quicker to slip the dedicated fence on and off but, have seen some "saddle" style fences that set over the TS fence to bring the RT fence features (split fence, DC, etc.) into play quickly and easily. I think either can work successfully but, either requires storage of a second "something".

Stu It's nice to have a separate fence for the router table. You can make it with slots to slide back & forth in with T-track or just through slots, T-track works better especially on a table-saw. I have also seen a pivoting fence where there is a hole or maybe even several holes in the out-feed side of the top for a dowel on the bottom of the out-feed side of the fence the in-feed side of the fence pivots & locks down in an arced slot in the table. There is a way to clamp it to the in-feed side of the table.

http://www.tunelab-world.com/routerscale.pdf

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/6822.html

I've got my router table to the left of the blade. I use the Incra fence for both the tablesaw and the router table, but I add a shop-built split fence/DC port to the Incra fence when I'm using it with the router.

This is not a current photo, but it shows the general configuration. Since this pic was taken, I've added adjustable diagonal braces to help support and level the router table extension.

New Incra Jig Setup 1- 700.jpg

With the router fence...

Router Fence 2 700.jpg Router Fence 1 700.jpg