Router in a Table Saw

I.............This is not a current photo............

The shag carpet kind of gave that away ;) :D

Nice set up just the same, and that is what I was thinking of, something that would mount, or hook onto the TS fence.

I do see where a router table only fence could be helpful, you could have the router set up for something, but still have use of the tablesaw.

Cheers!

The shag carpet kind of gave that away ;) :D
I keep telling ya...it's not shag, it's looped pile. :rofl: I don't miss it, though. :rolleyes:

The "bridge" part of the Incra jig kind of rules out the option for me to use the tablesaw at the same time as the router table, but with the repeatability of the Incra, I can move from one setup to the other and back in a minute or so, and still dead on with both.

Have you decided what type of fence you're going to put on your SawStop?

Wow! Those are cool! Do you have even a ballpark on the cost? It's worth thinking about... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

The more I looked at the pics on SMC of ones that folks have installed, the more I liked it so I emailed them last night on getting one to replace the RH particle board/laminate extension on my PM66. I might be taking the plunge and getting rid of my router table. I am sooo out of space. I'll let you know what they tell me on the cost.

Update - Pictures added

Got a few minutes at lunch and was wondering if anyone has built a router table on one wing of their table saw. Because of the size of my shop area, I think that this would be a good way to use my space keep from having another thing to move out to work. Got a aged Craftsman contractor saw with cast web-type wings that I would rather replace with something solid anyway. Any suggestions/plans? What is good material and how do you attach it to the saw? Did a couple of searches here on the forum, but didn't see anything specific.

I have a Craftsman contractor saw too. Mine came with a cast iron wing that can be used as a router table. I mounted the fixed base of my Dewalt 618 in it. I use an auxiliary fence that I made out of an oak 2x4 that is attached to the table saw fence. The only problem that I have run into that that I have a panel raising bit, that is too wide to be lowered through the cast iron cut out. I worked around this by making an auxiliary top out of MDF and masonite. The top has a cut out wide enough for the bit to be lowered into, but still be above the top of the cast iron table below. I only use this when I am raising panels.

If you are interested, I could see if I can find the Craftsman part number for the cast iron extension wing, and sent it to you. You might be able to order it from their parts dept.

Attachments

• TS-RTRTable01.jpg
    TS-RTRTable01.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 25
  • TS-RTRTable02.jpg
    TS-RTRTable02.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 20
  • TS-RTRTable03.jpg
    TS-RTRTable03.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 15
  • TS-RTRTable04.jpg
    TS-RTRTable04.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I ordered my Griz with the router table wing and when I added the 7 foot rails moved that wing out to the end of the rails and added a shop made table between the saw top and the wing. I mostly use the table saw fence for operations with the router. I had made fairly elaborate router fence that clamped onto the fence of my old table saw, and was going to make a similar one for the new saw for situations when I need a split fence for the router. I got the Incra positioner for the router fence instead. That is bolted to a board that gets clamped to the rails when I set it up. It still allows some ripping and cross cutting on the saw when installed, but is a bit of a hassle. If I had room, I'd add a dedicated router table for the Incra. If I need to, I can rig up a split fence to the table saw fence if I don't need to set the Incra up.

I've been through a few iterations of this as well. First one was a cast iron wing (no longer manufactured) attached to a Delta contractor saw. Replaced the Delta saw with a Grizzly cabinet saw, and added a router top from Woodpecker as the right wing. Also got the Woodpecker PRL and a 17" Incra LS positioner with Wonderfence (split fence). At that point the saw fence and router fence were separate. The top was a bust, but love the PRL and LS positioner. Got tired of the "tap-tap" method of setting the saw fence, so went to the Incra fence system and got a longer LS positioner for that. Also put the WP router table wing on the burn pile and bought a phenolic wing from Jointech (they had a nice sale at one point)...love that thing. Had to jerry-rig a way to attach the Jointech to the Grizzly, but not hard to figure out. Current setup is:

Jointech phenolic router top as right wing with Woodpecker PRL;
Incra table saw fence system with long rails and 25" LS positioner;
Exaktor sliding table as left wing;
HTC outfeed table.

I kept the Incra 17" LS positioner with Wonderfence for when I need a split router fence...simple matter to slip one positioner out of the base mount and put the other one in.

From time-to-time I consider building a separate router table (ala Norm), but I'd have to sell a machine to get the floor space. And when I throw the dart at the choice board it never hits a machine I'm willing to get rid of. So if floor space is an issue, this is the way to go. I heartily recommend choosing a solution that accomodates a router lift...those things are way cool.

As far as separate fences for the router and the saw I don't think it matters much as long as you can get the one that's in the way out of the way. Check out the accuracy and repeatability of the Incra LS positioner...most good. I didn't start out with it, but now that I've used it (them) for a couple of years I have no reason to think about changing.

If I can figure out how to attach a jpeg to this post you can see my setup. Sorry about the mess, but well, it is a shop, isn't it.

Last edited:
I used a table saw top

newshop039.jpg

newshop029.jpg

newshop030.jpg

newshop012.jpg

It works really good:D

JEFF:wave:

Good question Roger :thumb:

When I get my new saw, this will be something that I want to do. I have to ask a couple of questions to the guys that have done this.

Do you use the TS's fence?

One of the reasons I'm looking at getting the long rails on the new saw, is to put a router table in the extreme right side of the saw, and to use the TS fence, I'd put an auxiliary fence on the TS fence, but I'd still use the TS fence as my base. Is this the wrong way to do it? I see Glenn's set up uses a separate fence, and I see the BenchDog set up that Rob linked to also uses it's own fence, just wondering on that point.

Cheers!

Stu Check out Patrick Jaromins Blog. He has the same saw I have but he has fitted the Benchdog unit to his saw. I wrote him and asked him if it works and he is very happy with it.

http://tenonandspline.com/blog/albums/workshop_addition/slides/IMG_4502.html

Hi, guys. Haven't been able to get to the Family for past few days and was amazed at all the good ideas I am getting from my one post when I got back on today. Thanks for all the great information and pictures. Got some vacation to use up during December and hope to put something together. Really like the Bench Dog, but can't handle the price in my budget. Think the extension would be more than I paid for the whole saw several years ago! Have been looking at the semi-local Craigslist, but didn't see anything that I thought my work for a junker saw. So may have to come up with some sort of "hybrid" for the ideas. I will be sure to share when I get done.

My bad - they're not cast iron but steel. Here's the generals specs on one they did a Freestuff drawing on last month.

Specs:
Steel blanchard ground router extension wing
1.75" X 16" X" ? (depends on what tables saw the winner has (27",28" or 30")
Guarantee flat and parallel
Precision machined miter slot(standard .375" X .750")
Machined insert hole for .250" X 8.25" X 11.75" router plate

It should be arriving on my doorstep tomorrow, if Chris' ship date is correct! :wave: :thumb:

I can't wait to get it, and will certainly post a thread of my adventure in getting it up and running...

- Keith

...So may have to come up with some sort of "hybrid" for the ideas. I will be sure to share when I get done.
Roger, the first one I built into my tablesaw was made from two thicknesses of melamine particle board shelving from the Borg. It was only 12" deep, but it was great for things like running a roundover bit on the edge of a cutting board.

Here's a picture of it before I mounted the router plate to it:

Ridgid 3560.jpg

Roger, the first one I built into my tablesaw was made from two thicknesses of melamine particle board shelving from the Borg. It was only 12" deep, but it was great for things like running a roundover bit on the edge of a cutting board.

Thanks, Vaughn. That is probably somewhat the design I will use. Got a couple of sink cutouts from counter tops I installed and may use one of them. My space is limited right now due to the arrangement of the bomb shelter with an extra wall I haven't taken out yet. So 12" may be the limit right now. Not sure how I am going to hang it on the saw table. Got a used Delta fence so have plenty of strength on the fence and a piece of original angle on the back. Just have to make some sort of bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger, I used aluminum angle for the brackets. Hopefully these poor pics will give you some ideas...

Extension Table Brackets 2 - 500.jpg Extension Table Brackets 500.jpg

In this pic you can see where I cut away material in the top to clear the bolts that were holding the brackets in place. I also cut a rabbet on three sides to bury the bracket and allow the top to go flush to the rails.

Extension Table Underside 500.jpg

Roger, I used aluminum angle for the brackets. Hopefully these poor pics will give you some ideas...

View attachment 26434 View attachment 26435

In this pic you can see where I cut away material in the top to clear the bolts that were holding the brackets in place. I also cut a rabbet on three sides to bury the bracket and allow the top to go flush to the rails.

View attachment 26436

Thanks for this post Vaughn. I was trying to think of how to do something like this without spending the money on a benchdog unit. Your aluminium frame solves my problem. I have just the piece of particle board to fit this requirement. See no reason why we cannot make our own version of the benchdog. I want to enclose it and add some wooden draws etc and wood top would help for attachment. Sometimes you just need to see what others have done to take away the obstacles.:thumb: