I feel cheated

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've been awaiting the web site posting of the season 21 schedule for New Yankee Workshop for some weeks now. Well, it's posted and I, for one, feel let down if not cheated.:(
The "new" season will actually be 26 episodes of PAST PROJECTS with a new intro by Norm. If that don't beat all. an entire year without one new project on NYW.:bang: I'm not happy. :(
Before you ask - yes, I made my thoughts known on the NYW web site via the link to submit email to the show. I don't know the reason for this change, I hope it's not anything to do with Norm's health (someone noted here that his hand was shaking a lot during a finishing segment this past season), but I think some sort of explanation on the site is in order.

Last edited:
The network should just hire me and promote the show as comedy.
They could have you as the student and someone like Larry or Tod as the teacher. The city slicker and the hillbilly would appeal to a wide range of demographics. The show could also feature little side trips, like Larry taking you bow hunting, and you taking Larry on a tour of the NYC subways. :D

They could have you as the student and someone like Larry or Tod as the teacher. The city slicker and the hillbilly would appeal to a wide range of demographics. The show could also feature little side trips, like Larry taking you bow hunting, and you taking Larry on a tour of the NYC subways. :D

no thanks folks i have been in the big city on the labor day wknd many years ago and quess what i wont be back!! am glad i was ther eonce to say i saw how not to live though.. saw everything from the homeless to the high caflutin folk in macys.. and no restrooms for the public in the stores.. chuck i think that you could make it work and i have launderd the kilt for the next occasion:)

I don't know. Seems to me I remember that they outlawed bowhunting in the subways a few years back. :rofl::rofl:

Bow Hunting?

If you are referring to shooting arrows at animals in this city, I think its fair to warn you that here the animals shoot back, with assault rifles.

(btw, I grew up in surburbia, places like Long Island in the 60s, hardly a city slicker)

I wonder if Norm is having health problems.....:( I swear I've seen his hands tremble if he didn't hold onto something or have it resting on the bench.:dunno: I hope this isn't the case as if it wasn't for Norm I wouldn't be into woodwork like I am:D

Aloha, :wave:
Ditto.

It would be a shame if his health was the reason for the show schedule.:(

News from the NYW Website

The following is from the NYW website and addressed some of the concerns stated here.

Question:
Thanks for the great work! Since the day that the Yankee Cam was discontinued, I have been concerned that something drastic had happened. Now I see that Season 21 is a compilation. I am not complaining about that, as EVERY New Yankee episode is great. But, I am very concerned that perhaps someone important to the show became ill or otherwise incapacitated. Is everyone all right? I genuinely care, and I think most fans care very much as well. What happened? - Mike Trull

Answer:
We reassure you...all is well here at the Workshop. Norm is getting little more time to work on his own projects and to smell the flowers. Can we argue with that? But thanks for your concern

Word has been for the past couple of years that Norm was ready to retire, no big health problems, just had enough after all these years. Additionally, whether we want to admit it or not, woodworking is pretty much an "old guy's" hobby. I attended the "Woodworking in America" conference in Brea, KY a couple of months ago and it was startling. The average age of an attendee was around 60. Even PBS looks for market share and sadly, woodworking is a very low yield. That's why so many of the shows that have tried to make a go of it for the past few years have been cancelled. In one Q&A session I attended in Brea the big names of the industry were asked what the future of woodworking looked like and they were decidedly downbeat, saying that the "heyday" of woodworking was the late 1980's.

Moral of the story, teach a kid to woodwork...

Chris, I have to disagree. In my view the average age in my area is much younger than 60. I think the problem with the "WWorking Shows" is that most people 30-50 have to much else going on to take time to go to shows. (kids with 6 games in one weekend day, etc) and the fact that traveling to them involved much more $$ than in the past. Many use forums like this one to get the info they need about new products. My grandpa taught my dad woodworking, they both taught me and I have already given my 3yr old daught a hammer and tape measure...I think I see a trend here.:rolleyes:

As to Norm, I applaud him for "taking time to smell the flowers". He is problably the most widely known wood worker in the world. His legacy will live on forever IMO.

woodworking is pretty much an "old guy's" hobby.

Well there, that explains why Larry is better at it than I am, cause he is the old guy and I'm still a youngster.

How bout you chuck?:wave:....you ain't a woodworker either, are you?:dunno:....ain't old yet are you?:dunno:

Maybe in about 10 more years I might get the hang of it.:huh: