Are you into Queens?

Chris Barton

Queen Ann that is. This is a candle table that I made largely by turning although a little flatwork was involved as well. I wanted this to be my first project post here but, finished it while the site was down. Just the legs were done using flat skills all the rest turned from some scrap curly cherry I had from the federal period card table I made earlier this year. It is stained with Transtint "Honey Amber" and finished with shellac and then a dark cherry gel stain was used as a glaze. I still need to rub it out with some extra fine steel wool and wax. The piece is about 26" tall with a 18 diameter to the top. Sorry about the photography in advance... Musings, critiques, etc all welcome.

For all of you who visit that "other place" sorry for the duplication...

Attachments

• 081306 All 047s.jpg
    081306 All 047s.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 081306 All 048s.jpg
    081306 All 048s.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 081306 All 049s.jpg
    081306 All 049s.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 081306 All 050s.jpg
    081306 All 050s.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 12
Very nice. What kind of lathe do you have that gives and 18" swing? Outboard maybe?
Are the legs in a dovetail slot with the bottom knob hiding it?
Either way, well done and very attractive.

Thanks for showing yor excellent piece of furniture. Did you stain the cherry to even out the color? I used shellac on a cherry table I made and don't think I'll use it on cherry again as it seems to have inhibited the natural darkness cherry becomes over time. I also made a chest of drawers with only WOP at roughly the same time and it's darkened beuatifully. I'd say it's definatley best to leave cherry to it's own course with regard to coloring.

Cheers,
Gari