bowl gouge saga continues

saga ends dramatically

Well I CA'd the thing and put back on lathe. Had to skew off excess glue on outside then used bowl gouge and mucho 40 grit on inside to get rid of excess.
When that was done I decided that the ring gouges I had left were bad news and had to go. I used the large radius from the big cutter on my Don Pencil hollowing tool and removed most of the hills and valleys inside. I stopped because the walls were getting quite thin and three disasters already with this thing were enough for one project. (start hole drilled too deep and off center; a crack that was CA'd; then more cracks that were also CA'd.) It did a good and quick job. I believe I'll be using that quite a bit in the future.
Then I reversed again. This time I used an outside grip with the Cole jaws. Using a standard 1/2" bowl scraper, I removed 99.99% of the tenon. All went fine until I hit the dowel that had been glued in to plug the hole. AIR BORNE ALERT! Recovered the bowl from my workbench across the room. Hole is back and worse. This time this project is DOA fer certain fer sure.

Attachments

• round scraper.jpg
    round scraper.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
  • bowl hole.jpg
    bowl hole.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 25
Others use the method successfully.

You are right Frank, others have used the method successfully, they just don't have Magilla Gorilla tightening things down.

forsalecu.jpg