How to question......

In another thread I posted the need for a new adjuster assembly for my no-name band saw. I did find what I thought was the right part but now that its here and I'm trying to install it found a discrepancy:huh: As you see in photo #1 the shaft of the new part is about 1 15/32" to the shoulder. The old part (photo #2) the length of the shaft to the shoulder is longer, right at 1 9/16". In photo #3 you can see the pins that hold the pivot arm into the frame. The new assy. photo #4 is the same set up the pins appear to be pressed in and gee, don't fall out like the old ones did:rofl: Any ideas how to get the pins out so I can attempt to swap out the pivot arms?:dunno: The both have roll pins holding the shaft into the pivot arm but the roll pin of the new unit goes into a blind hole :eek:so I can't just push it though with a small punch:huh:

Any ideas???

Aloha:wave:

Photo #1
IMG_8248 (Small).jpg

Photo #2
IMG_8253 (Small).jpg

Photo #3
IMG_8254 (Small).jpg

Photo #4
IMG_8256 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Royall,
At first blush, I'm not sure how to get the roll pins out, but maybe another approach - how about a few shims on the shaft? The new shaft is longer, so a shim in front or back may help center the top wheel over the bottom wheel. It may be easier to find a few washers than get those pins out!:rolleyes:

Just a thought,
Wes

OK, let me make sure I have this right.

The old shaft is longer than the new one you want to replace it with, is that correct?

Also, you are wanting to keep the old inside piece, (The inside piece being the piece with the shaft on it) and put it into the new outside piece, correct?

OK, I'll assume that I'm correct in my assumptions.

Those pins are designed to be pushed in once, and not really removed, The old one that I fixed up, the roll pins just fell out of it too :huh: :doh:

The roll pins, are they stuck in the inside piece or the outside piece?

If they are held in place on the inside piece of the new one, the one that you want to get rid of, you could destroy that piece, you could try heating it up first, (aluminum heats and expands a lot, so you might get lucky) if not, drill some small holes in the inside piece until it cracks and lets go of the roll pins.

drill_holes_here.jpg

The you would have the new outside piece, and you old longer shafted inside piece............... might work ;) :D

Last edited:
Oh darn. Sorry, I was hoping the easy way out would do it. If you go Stu's route, have patience - you don't want to rush things and break the new part!;)

Good luck!

Wes

I'd come over to help you Royall, but da Supa Ferrie no go dat way yet, brah.

Aloha, Tony

Hey Tony... Das BOOT not be comin here anytime soon. :D Not worth it if I can't go from here to Maui with out having to go all the way to your island first. Flap my wings faster:rofl

Aloha:wave:
Sounds like you guys need jet skis. :p I'm guessing you're both too old these days to surf between islands like you did when you were younger.

Seriously, how far apart are your two respective islands? I've never been to any of them. Closest I've gotten (other than flying over them) was Catalina.

Hi Vaughn

Tony is on Oahu, and I'm on the Big Island Hawaii. Maui is in between us (along with a few small islands. I'm not sure of the distance but it takes about 40 minutes by jet to get from Hilo (on the east side of the Big Island to Honolulu on Oahu.

Tony has lived in the islands longer than me and would know the distance better than me:thumb:

Aloha, :wave:

...takes about 40 minutes by jet to get from Hilo (on the east side of the Big Island to Honolulu on Oahu...
That's farther than I'd pictured. Looking at the map, I guess you'd only have to swim between about 5 and 25 miles between the individual islands, but there are some pretty long hikes in between the swims, I see.

Google Map

I really want to get over there someday. LOML and I weren't able to go on a honeymoon when we got married a few years ago, but Hawaii is our intended destination when we do go.

Vaughn,

It's about 200 miles from Honolulu to Hilo, as the crow flies. The island of Oahu, which is where you will find me, is about 45 miles at its longest dimension. I can see the airport from where I live (and work) which is not too far from Pearl Harbor too. But, we are about 1500 miles from you.

We'd love to have you visit the islands. You know I don't have a shop, (as compared to what you all have) but it would be nice to meet you, too.

Aloha, Tony

I have to be one of the few(other than military on their way to 'Nam) that went to Hawaii for one day. Saw a lot in that day. Sorry I didn't connect with anyone. Does it always rain every 15 minutes in the morning?

How to question...... now Hawaii

Royall,

I stand corrected. As many times as I have flown that distance, I should remember, huh? Oh well, getting old I guess.

Yeah Dale, and the island of Kauai (northwest of Oahu) is called "The Wettest Spot on Earth". "Mount Waialeale (elevation 5,148 ft) is at the heart of Kauai's interior and is the quintessential lush rainforest with over 400 inches of rain per year".

I would have to say, yes, it can rain every 15 minutes. It rains every day somwhere in Hawaii.

Aloha, Tony