I'm making a sorta craftsman style dining table with lots of mortises and tenons (aprons, stretchers, vertical slats). I carefully fit each and every m&t set and did a couple over that were not solid fits, so I was confident that the thing will go together just fine. Still, something inside me said - you gotta do a dry fit. But on the other hand, it sure would be nice to get the sucker glued up today before we start the holidays for real.
Well, my conscience got the best of me and I did a dry fit. To my shock, the last assembly failed
The tenons stopped about 1/4 inch short of the legs.
Then I remembered - oh yeah, I designed the tenons to be mitered and I haven't done that yet. They fit fine when only one was in the leg, but there's not enough room for both at the same time.
Easy to fix, but can you imagine if I had made this discovery with glue on the joints - arrgghh
Happy holidays all.