Calendar Gift Idea

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is turning related for me, but it could apply to non-turners as well. Last year I had calendars made via CafePress.com with pictures of some of my turned pieces. I made a few to have on hand as low-cost booth items, but figured whatever didn't sell I'd give to family for Christmas. Well, none of them sold, but the family loved them and now they expect a new one this year.

If you're not familiar with it, CafePress is a website that does on-demand printing on everything from paper to t-shirts to coffee cups. You upload the image you want on the item, and they will print one or a thousand for you. It's a handy low-cost way to get custom t-shirts, gifts, or promotional items. You can even set up a "store" where others can order your designs, and specify the amount of markup you want on the sale of each item. CafePress handles all the transaction stuff like credit cards and shipping, and any profit from sales go back to you. Or, you can do like I did and set up the store with no markup. I figure if someone's willing to advertise for me and wear my logo on a shirt, they should be able to get the shirt at the same price it'd cost me to buy it. ;)

Anyway, I thought I'd share the calendar idea with you folks. If you've got a dozen pics you think others might like, it might be a easy gift solution for you. For an example of what you can do, here's mine, which I just updated tonight:

http://www.cafepress.com/workingwoods.161395448

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sell my calendars to any of you. If you do buy something from my CafePress store, I don't make a cent. But if for some odd reason you want a shirt or coffee cup with my logo on it, feel free to order one. :)