Air Compresser Problems

Ron Roase

I have a 2 horse moter that drives a two cylinder air compresser. I have it over head in my garage. Takes up less space that way,and I just pipe the air through the wall into my shop. The other day,all of a sudden while working on a cabinet. I noticed that the compresser would not shut off. After looking closley at it from a step ladder,I found a hole in the bottom of the tank. It is much to heavy to lift down all assembled. so I took off motor and compresser also electrical and air lines. Checking the price of a replacement tank $$$$$
Looking at cost of a new unit $$$$$ I decided to have a patch welded over the small hole. Wondering if any one has had any long term succsess with this type of repair. I re assembled every thing on the ground first. Ran it and found no air leaking out. Then took it apart again and put it back up overhead and installed new gauges and regulaters.Also used 1/2 copper and brass fittings for a finall hook up. I thought it strange when I went to drain the tank this fall..... Nothing came out. I always would get about a 1/2 pint of water. Now I know why. After 3 days of being married to that tank,am glad to see it finished.:dunno:

Ron,,

I am not going to be the only one to tell you this, but I am the first. As much as you think you have repaired yout tank, you may have damaged it more.

Obviously the tank you have is not one of the older thick walled receivers, or you would not be handling it by hand. Therefore, with the thinner metal used in your tank, and the fact that it has already rusted through, welding it may well have created stress zones that could fracture, with catastrophic results.

There will be horror stories by the truckload coming I am sure. About the tank that blew up and went through the wall, or destroyed a truck (a mobile mounted unit). None of these are fun to read about and the consequences could have been fatal, say nothing about much much damage could be done.

Before running this equipment any more, I would strongly advise removing your repaired tank and installing a new one. The cost would seem like nothing should you choose not do that and this one decides to disintegrate. I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to you, or to anyone.

I spoke my piece, now it's your decision. I hope you do the right thing, for your own good.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
A two minute Google Search pulled up this...

The air tank exploded out of the ground and shot the above the nearby train caboose, then fell back to the ground. The force of the air that pushed the tank rained masses of dirt and concrete over the immediate area, and deformed a metal bridge that was built above the tank. A four-foot deep crater several feet wide was left, with the concrete jutting into the air at and odd angle. The welded metal bottom of the tank had been sheared away in the explosion upward.

And this...

CHAPARRAL, N.M. (AP) - Dona Ana County sheriff’s officials say a 52-year-old Chaparral man was killed when an air compressor blew up while he was working on it in his front yard.

Sheriff’s investigators say Charles Bailey was killed instantly.

Investigators say Bailey sustained massive injuries to his face.

A friend found him dead in his yard Saturday, but sheriff’s investigators believe the explosion occurred earlier, either Thursday or Friday.

Bailey lived alone.

Investigators found parts of the compressor up to 170 feet away.

Replace the tank or buy a new compressor my friend.

Ron, you said, in part, "....I went to drain the tank this fall."

This fall? Regularly used tanks should be drained frequently.
We had a large compressor that had a label over the drain valve that said
"DRAIN EVERY MONDAY"

As others have pointed out, the whole tank may be near rusted through and ready to blow.

Replace it and you will be a much safer place to play. Watch for used tanks. This could be a good time to upgrade to a large tank.

Ron, you said, in part, "....I went to drain the tank this fall."

This fall? Regularly used tanks should be drained frequently.
We had a large compressor that had a label over the drain valve that said
"DRAIN EVERY MONDAY"

As others have pointed out, the whole tank may be near rusted through and ready to blow.
Hate to say it, but not draining the tank regularly was probably a large factor in it rusting through.

I'll echo the recommendation to not pressurize this tank and get a new one. Compressed gases (including air) are not something to scrimp on.

Dollars per sense, it would be more wise to replace... as for the bleeding of a tank from afar... It is no problem to installa pipe line in the bottom and pass therough the ceiling and make handy the valve, Also they also make an automatic bleed valve that is controled electronicly. Air dryers will forego the need for bleeding

Yet the safest is to get a new tank :thumb: Mine went to the salvage yard this past summer, better safe than frugle...:eek:

See Ron, I told you there were going to others to say what I said. Best for you to replace the tank and be safe, and alive and well.

Thank you Rennie. I appreciate the compliment.

Bill Simpson, you are right about a remote drain. That would be good in Ron's application. It may have saved him from all this. An automatic drain would be the best. As far as dryers go, they usually are installed AFTER the receiver on the output line. To try drying the air comming from the compressor pump would require a BIG dryer, as the freshly compressed air is very hot and it is the cooling down of the air in the tank that condenses the moisture. A dryer would remove moisture from the output air pretty well for paint spraying and probably air tools, to increase their life. Dryers are refrigeration units with moisture traps.

Yeah, Tod snuck in there with that too.

Frank, I have always known to drain an air receiver daily, or at least when you are done using it. You must have had a rather large receiver.

I guess there is agreement that Ron should replace his tank. Thanks guys.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Tod & Tony

Reciently I went over to my S-I-L's work (shift supervisor for a Metalworking facility) to pick up an Aluminum frame he made to replace the wood frame on my sagging gate (I'll post about it when finished) While there he gave me the fifty cent tour... some amazing equipment and products, One of which was the bank of compressors to run the shop(s) I asked him specificly, as they run three shifts, how often do they bleed the compressors? His response was, "with the air dryer we don't have to worry with it."

Seems industry has a different prospective.

perhaps that company had automatic water release,, the one i have came from a pretty good sized drug company and it had it and the person i got it from was there main maintence person. he said theres all had that on them its kinda in conspicious unless your lookin for it..every time it starts up at the end of the cycle it spits:)

Bill, Ask your Son-in Law where those driers are installed, on the receiver input line or the output line. I would be willing to bet they are on the output. The company would certainly want dry air to its equipment and tools. If they use air cylinders and motors for machines, dry air is most important.

As Larry said, there are most likely automatic "spitter" drains on the receivers not readily visible but that do the draining routinely as the unit runs and cycles. Most spitters are even plumbed so you don't even see the water draining.

I think most all industrial installations will use the same setup. The down time of their compressor systems would cost much more than the cost of the automatic drains, and the consequences of a receiver failure would be too dangerous.

No further word from Ron on this. I wonder if he is changing the tank now or if he is ignoring us?

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Bill, Ask your Son-in Law where those driers are installed, on the receiver input line or the output line. I would be willing to bet they are on the output. The company would certainly want dry air to its equipment and tools. If they use air cylinders and motors for machines, dry air is most important.

As Larry said, there are most likely automatic "spitter" drains on the receivers not readily visible but that do the draining routinely as the unit runs and cycles. Most spitters are even plumbed so you don't even see the water draining.

I think most all industrial installations will use the same setup. The down time of their compressor systems would cost much more than the cost of the automatic drains, and the consequences of a receiver failure would be too dangerous.

No further word from Ron on this. I wonder if he is changing the tank now or if he is ignoring us?

Aloha, Tony

I'll do that... BTW "Aloha" caught my interest and made me look up your profile. I spent February on Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii back in 2001, Oh how I miss that place... Were it not for the kids I would be a neighbor. :thumb:

Property manager? How do you manage property, something that justs lays there and lets people wall all over it? :eek:

Interesting info this string has brought out.

And of course, another suggestion to get a new tank...

Tod & Tony

Reciently I went over to my S-I-L's work (shift supervisor for a Metalworking facility) to pick up an Aluminum frame he made to replace the wood frame on my sagging gate (I'll post about it when finished) While there he gave me the fifty cent tour... some amazing equipment and products, One of which was the bank of compressors to run the shop(s) I asked him specificly, as they run three shifts, how often do they bleed the compressors? His response was, "with the air dryer we don't have to worry with it."

Seems industry has a different prospective.

if a shop is running large "screw" type compressors most feed directly into the drier and there is no reciever to drain.

a loooong time ago i worked in a shop that ran a pair of 100hp screws that fed into a 4" main line.....the drier for the compressors was actually larger than either compressor!

Tank repair

:thumb:
Ron,,

I am not going to be the only one to tell you this, but I am the first. As much as you think you have repaired yout tank, you may have damaged it more.

Obviously the tank you have is not one of the older thick walled receivers, or you would not be handling it by hand. Therefore, with the thinner metal used in your tank, and the fact that it has already rusted through, welding it may well have created stress zones that could fracture, with catastrophic results.

There will be horror stories by the truckload coming I am sure. About the tank that blew up and went through the wall, or destroyed a truck (a mobile mounted unit). None of these are fun to read about and the consequences could have been fatal, say nothing about much much damage could be done.

Before running this equipment any more, I would strongly advise removing your repaired tank and installing a new one. The cost would seem like nothing should you choose not do that and this one decides to disintegrate. I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to you, or to anyone.

I spoke my piece, now it's your decision. I hope you do the right thing, for your own good.

Aloha, Tony

Thanks for your input Tony
Just to let you know the tank is not of thin metal It is a heavy Tank ASME
The hole was about the size of the lead in a pencil The repair was done by a professional welder with wire feed. He welded a spot about the size of a quarter. Have been told by numerous people that with only 130 pounds fo pressure and used ing a releef valve, Worst I coud expect is another leak in another spot. If this were to occure then I would certainley replace the whole unit. If it were a high pressure tank or a very large tank with much higher air pressure I would be more inclined to replace it now.
Thank you all for the responce,much apreciated. Ron :thumb: