Christmas Present for my wife.....

Stuart Ablett

Presents actually.

These are the salad bowls that she wanted, the wood is Blue Keyaki, and it spalted, so it turned out extra nice!!

The first one is kind of flat, the form is "OK" I had to work with what I had, and besides that she did say she wanted a flatter one, similar to a platter.

flat_spalted_keyaki1.jpg

flat_spalted_keyaki2.jpg

flat_spalted_keyaki3.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki3.jpg
I think it turned out OK.

The next one is quite a bit deeper, and rounder.........

round_spalted_keyaki1.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki2.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki4.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki5.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki6.jpg

They are finished with the Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish........
53z3201g2b.jpg

It does not give an nice a shine, but it is food safe and easy to take care off.

Well I hope she likes them, she told me that she did not buy me anything for Christmas, I don't mind, I buy enough stuff for myself :rolleyes: :eek:

To make her feel better, I told her not to worry, I did not buy her anything either........and I didn't, I made these two :thumb:

Cheers!

Stu, they are gorgeous, bet she is gonna love them.

Does spalting give any concerns for food use...spores that could be transfered to salads?

Great looking bowls! :thumb:

I had the same concern as Steve regarding the food-safeness of the spalted wood. I believe that spraying on some form of bleech kills the fungai but don't quote me on this.

Those turned out great, Stu. They look quite similar to ambrosia maple. Steve presents a good question regarding the spalting and food safeness. I, for one, am curious to know the answer.

Also, won't the wax come off quickly with normal washing? Please forgive my ignorance if this a bonehead question:dunno: .

Well she liked them!

The Spalting will have been killed off after soaking in DNA for over 48 hours, I would think, I'm not worried about it.

The wax is meant to be reapplied as needed.

All in all a success!

and.......... I hope........... the last Keyaki I EVER turn, that stuff is just so freaking HARD, takes all the fun out of it....:rolleyes: