2008 - The year in review

Jim Mattheiss

Hello:

I though it would be good to show the project's I've worked on in 2008.
I'll be posting to individual posts to this thread for each project.

I'll start with my dust collector revamp. I inherited a Cincinnati Dust collector from my FIL. It was an aluminum plate that sits on a garbage can. with the fan atop the plate and a dust bag. 90% of the dust ended up in the bag. The fan assembly has a 1/2 hp motor and it rated at 450 CFM.

I read here and on other sites about Phil Thein's separator/baffle and decided to build one. Since the fan sits on top of the barrel I had to build a 2 piece version. It would have been too heavy/unwieldy to lift a single motor/baffle assembly from the barrel.

The fan is mounted to a round motor plate. That motor plate has a 6" hole in the middle. The motor plate sits on the baffle/separator which is another round plate that sits on top of a steel garbage can. The main difference in my implementation is that the 4" duct entered the side of the garbage can directly into the baffle as opposed to from above and thru an elbow.

The first picture shows the whole thing assembled.
The second picture is the "exploded" view of the 3 components.
The third picture shows how the duct enters the barrel.

I know the cloth bag isn't stopping the sub-micron fines from passing through, but it's does a pretty good job with chip collection. When the budget allows I'll look to enhancing dust collection to something bigger/better.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4217 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4217 (Medium).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4219 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4219 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4220 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4220 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 18
Hello:

In the spring the "economic stimulus check" arrived and I ordered a Grizzly planer. I got the 12" model.

What's the first thing you build when you get a portable planer?

The planer cart of course. I saw this design on the web. I stole the idea from Vicky at this site : http://www.fastol.com/~vicsue/planer.htm

Her design is based on Tom Hintz's design: http://www.newwoodworker.com/cartmobile.html

I used 2 by 4 lumber for the frame and the joints are half laps. Out of the gate I slapped a top on the open frame and put it to work.

Down the road I got the Kreg K3 set and used pocket joinery to attach the inset panels.I think if you close enough on the second image you can see where I drilled thru the "seam" in the T111 panel at the top. A centered pocket hole doesn't work well there :doh:

The inside shelf allows me to store 2 totes with misc. shop accessories in a safe location.

Eventually I think I'll put doors on it - I haven't built a set of doors in 12 years - It's about time.

It's not too heavy to move - you just need to lift the handles 3" or so to be abe to roll the thing like a wheelbarrow.

Again - thanks for looking.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4224 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4224 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4223 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4223 (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4222 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4222 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
jim, nice stuff to keep you busy with, and this will come as a suprise to this entire board, but I have a suggestion for you for the planer cart.
where you build the arms for a handle, I would raise them enough, so that you can place a thick dowel (closet rod), with a piece of pvc pipe over it, so besides a handle, it will be an outfeed roller to assist with the longer pieces on the planer.

Hello:

Once I got the planer I was looking for wood to plane :rofl:

I took the top slats off a pallet I had intended to burn as firewood and ran them thru. Of the 8 splats 6 of them were of some hardwood with some interesting coloration. The other 2 were firewood.

The LOML asked me for a box for her makeup, so I immediately though of this wood. She gave me a desired size and I was off to the races. I planed enough wood for the top, sides and bottom. Glued up panels for the top and bottom.

I of course needed another tool so I bought the Wixey Digital Angle gauge on sale at Woodcraft. I also bought some hinges for the box and proceeded to lose them :doh:

The pictures of the finished box are below. The wood has some cracks, holes and other character marks. The best part is the new owner was very happy with the result :thumb:

Thanks again for looking.

Jim

PS: Alen - I like your idea about how to add infeed and outfeed supports to the planer cart. Thanks Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4227 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4227 (Medium).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF4226 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4226 (Medium).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19
Hello:

While I was in progress on the makeup box the LOML asked for something to help her organize her necklaces. She was on a "clean her dresser" kick. Who am I to say no!

She designed the item and I was able to make it using some hardwood I had purchased on CL over the summer. It was advertised as mahogany, but I'm not sure. The top hooks are for necklaces and the lower hook if for bracelets and "loop" necklaces made out of solid wire so they remain round when not being worn.

The first 2 pictures show the simple design and the 3rd picture attempts to show the beautiful grain of the wood. It points out that I need to work on my photographic skills... The finish is shellac and I wanted to sand and wax the finish but she grabbed it and put in into use.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

PS - I think that's it for 2008 projects. I've got a table saw base cabinet and a school book bag cubby on request but neither of then is likely to get started in 2008 (though I do have a bunch of "use it or lose it" vacation still). Cheers Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4229 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4229 (Medium).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4228 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4228 (Medium).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4230 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF4230 (Medium).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: