for those gearheads in the audience...

Ned Bulken

I just saw that the Powerblock shows on Spike are selling off several of their project cars & trucks, with proceeds to benefit to 'a worthy charity'

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___powerblock_W0QQ_fxdZ1QQ_trksidZm39

on ebay.
I'm no mechanic, but I enjoy watching them wrench on their projects.

and another link...
Just found out about Southern Motors... who are building all new classic pickups:
attachment.php

Attachments

• smc_wp.jpg
    smc_wp.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I like the 67 LeMans

Too bad they moved to a Turbo 400 and did not keep the 4 speed. Drivers fender is from a 66. There is a very small subtle difference between the years. Otherwise, a cool car although there is some work to compete.

Thanks Ned.

Robert, Looks like they used a 47 Chevy passenger grille on that pickup, which is a 1954 or eqrly model 1955. Nice looking ride though.

Martin, there is no difference between 66 and 67 front fenders, aside from there being 6 little holes just behind the headlamp on the 66 LeMans fenders for a set of 3 diecast vertical louvers and these were not on the GTO. or the 67's. The quarter panel of the LeMans got the stamped in fake louvers behind the door in 67. There were no louvers on the GTO. The 66 and 67 GTO had a 'V' shaped crest with GTO and the engine displacement on the lower section just in front of the door. The major frontend difference between 66 & 67 is in the grille itself, The 66 had a full wrap of the grille opening moulding both top and bottom. They cut that to just the top and center in 67 but carried it under the center section of the upper grille panel. The 66 had complete separation of the two grille sections and the upper panel went all the way to the bumper with paint.

I worked on enough of them back in the day. (Sorry, I wish I had pictures of some of them)

My eye catches an inward twist to the bottom of the driver's front fender at the bumper. The headlamp bezel is canted in at an angle. It should be directly vertical like the passenger side. The bumper also looks to be offset to the passenger side of the car. I would venture an educated guess that the bumper is a re-chrome, and therefore could have been bent previously. It should fit better than that if it was new & straight. The fender wheel opening looks a little mis-shapen too. Maybe it had been bent but the bodyman didn't get his shape correct.

I'll stand corrected if someone can prove otherwise.

Aloha, Tony (who started doing collision repair in his junior year of HS)

Last edited:
IIRC the LeMans was built so that it would Not be a cloned Goat using parts from Year One. The pickup is Not a chevy at all, though it is firmly based upon it, those are all 'new' stampings. The cab is slightly stretched about 6", the windshield raked back and the roof is chopped vs whichever year they used as a template (They didn't specify wihch year on the website) Eye candy whichever year it was though. Sure looks nice to me. of all of the vehicles, I would be Most interested in Old Blue hair ,the Nova, wihch has a big block and a manual tranny stuffed under the hood, with electric cut outs to straight pipes for the ultimate sleeper. (though very well known among the car crowd). It was mostly built by Lou Santiago, who has since moved on from the show and now runs his own shop down in NC somewhere.

Last edited:
...The pickup is Not a chevy at all, though it is firmly based upon it, those are all 'new' stampings. The cab is slightly stretched about 6", the windshield raked back and the roof is chopped vs whichever year they used as a template (They didn't specify wihch year on the website) Eye candy whichever year it was though. Sure looks nice to me.
I'm impressed they went with a metal body instead of fiberglass. Has some cool-looking specs, but at $68K ready to push (the engine and transmission are extra), it's a bit rich for my blood. Sure is pretty, though, and properly powered, I'll bet it runs like a bat out of a really hot place. :rofl:

yeah, you got that right, but it is a Brand new hot rod with a 3 yr warranty. it sure would save a lot of time. I wonder if there's a company that would make an old Effie. I didn't look too hard at the price, since it would be hard to justify even if I Had the money...

Thanks Ned.

Martin, there is no difference between 66 and 67 front fenders, aside from there being 6 little holes just behind the headlamp on the 66 LeMans fenders for a set of 3 diecast vertical louvers and these were not on the GTO. or the 67's. (who started doing collision repair in his junior year of HS)

Yes there is. As I stated, very subtle and eveyone misses it. How do I know this? My first car was a 67 GTO convertible that was sideswiped. I went to a GM training center for body repair - hammer and dolly first then lead as a surface filler. Bondo was only to fill sand scratchs. Tore that 67 apart and the only descent fender I could find was from a 66 GTO. The difference is the very small sheet metal trim that matches the sheet metal T section of the front end. The matching section on the 66 is about 3/8" smaller than the 67.

And I am well aware of all the other detail differences.

Here is a link to a GTO discussion forum topic on the fender differences:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581814

Last edited: