2. SRV
3. Buddy Guy
4. Muddy Waters
5. John Lee Hooker
6. Freddie King
7. T-bone Walker
8. Robert Junior Lockwood
9. ... i could go on but this should give you an idea of the genre

Jason, you would be quite at home in my shop. My tastes are deeply entrenched in the blues, to the considerable chagrin of my lovely wife. However, she chose SRV's Pride and Joy as "our song". She is forever a mystery to me.

I also regress into my heritage (wife's words) regularly and crank the Celtic music . My wife also does not appreciate the tipperin' of bodhrans and the squeezin' of pipes. Italians! No offense, Tony :D:D

It's always changing.

And I rarely do "top fives" because of that.

Right now we're getting into the Christmas stuff, so I've got these on heavy rotation:
Trans Siberian Orchestra: The Lost Christmas Eve
Trans Siberian Orchestra: Christmas Eve and Other stories
Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir: Light Of The World
Mercy Me: The Christmas Sessions
Rivertribe: Christmas

But other recent purchases/current listens include:
Third Day: Revelation (heavy, heavy rotation in our house currently)
Hillsong: Ultimate Worship
Beatles: One
Chris Tomlin: Arriving
Rush: Retrospective I + II (my wife hates this...)
Cars Soundtrack (great driving music)
Great Big Sea: Play
Erasure: Abba-esque (kids reach for this one a lot for some reason)
Riverdance

Last edited:
but then again ... i could say everything above with one name... Robert Johnson :)

Jason,

Good point. Remember the uproar many a year ago when the stones had 'love in vain' on one of their albums and listed the credits as "traditional"? And I heard some contemporary woman singing "malted milk" a couple years ago. Strange, but who's to say... ;)

And here's one for you: a few days ago Doorlink heard a non-traditional argument on the roots of jazz. I expressed my skepticism (I'm stronger on the 'call and response' argument than the 'call to prayer' derivation), and was pulling up links to support my point. She hadn't heard of 'cakewalk', so I went looking on youtube. I swear to you, I found a film version of cakewalking from 1903. Incredible! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Heres a YouTube link to Monte Montgomery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu0Aa5cZW0 Plenty of other stuff by him on there as well. I did not mention He was my wedding reception entertainment 15 years ago. Everyone told me he was the best entertainment they had ever seen at a wedding. Not much for the dancing but pretty decent to listen to.

Heres a top 10 list of live shows I have seen No particular order.

1. Judas Priest opening band Def Leppard about 1980.
2. Steve Winwood 1986
3. The B52's and the pretenders opened.
4. U2 on the Boy tour.
5. Southern Culture On The Skids. Great fun.
6. Rainbow, Saxon, Riot, first concert expressly recorded for MTV. Pretty crazy.
7. David Bowie
8. The Cramps. They are always fun.
9. Dick Dale his first show was the best but always good.
10 Joe "King" Carrasco 1982 at the Arneson River Theater San Antonio River. Drunk, 16, dancing in the river, with many wet girls. Can't get much better than that.
11. Blues Traveler at a local bar. Awesome.

Oops more than 10 I guess I could name 50.

Thanks,

Alan

(snip)
Right now we're getting into the Christmas stuff, so I've got these on heavy rotation:
Trans Siberian Orchestra: The Lost Christmas Eve
Trans Siberian Orchestra: Christmas Eve and Other stories
Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir: Light Of The World
Mercy Me: The Christmas Sessions
Rivertribe: Christmas

But other recent purchases/current listens include:
Third Day: Revelation (heavy, heavy rotation in our house currently)
Hillsong: Ultimate Worship
Beatles: One
Chris Tomlin: Arriving
Rush: Retrospective I + II (my wife hates this...)
Cars Soundtrack (great driving music)
Great Big Sea: Play
Erasure: Abba-esque (kids reach for this one a lot for some reason)
Riverdance

Hi Art -

If you get the chance - see TSO live... best light show I've seen ever. Highly choreographed show... we just went least week!

I'll add some of my favorites to the list:

1) Decemberists
2) Bowie (especially the older stuff)
3) Renaissance (most people have never heard of 'em)
4) Eliza Gilkyson
5) Mark Kozalek
6) Band of Horses
7) Crash Test Dummies
8) Proclaimers
9) Anything from Newfoundland (Great big Sea, Masterless Men, Shanneyganock)
10) Kasey Chambers (Australia)

I have about 7,000 tunes on the iPod(s) and cover a lot of ground now... mostly into the "alt-" whatever categories now... even (gulp) alt-country !

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Art -

If you get the chance - see TSO live... best light show I've seen ever. Highly choreographed show... we just went least week!

I just checked, and unfortunately they're not coming to London. In fact, Ottawa and Hamilton seem to be it for Ontario. I'm not counting Toronto, as they're not getting there until Boxing Day. :huh:

Five is very very restrictive for someone with eclectic taste in music like I have. But, here we go:

Stan Rogers

Motzart

Buffy Ste Marie

Bob Dylan (early eg. his war protest songs)

Oscar Perterson

From Rob Lee's list:

3) Renaissance (most people have never heard of 'em)

One of my favorites when they were new, and I still have some of their songs in rotation. :thumb: Saw them once or twice live, and Annie Haslam's voice was frighteningly perfect. I think on of those concerts was Renaissance opening for Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour. (Great show. Ian Anderson walked on stage and said something like "here's a little ditty for you called Thick as a Brick", then they proceeded to play all material from the whole album, non-stop.)

I like songs with stories or silly/interesting lyrics.
The first song I can remember is CDB's Uneasy Rider.
That said I'm partial to country music.
Below are my current favorite artists and my current favorite song by that artist

1 - Paul Thorn (Mission Temple Fireworks Stand)
2 - Robert Earl Keen (Christmas with the Family)
3 - Gary P Nunn (London Homesick Blues)
4 - Jerry Jeff Walker (I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight)
5 - Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues)

I'm on a late 60's / early 70's kick right now . . .

Cheers Jim