Saw Jimmy Clewes demo yesterday

Ken Easley

Arizona Woodturning Assoc. had Jimmy Clewes out yesterday for a one day demo. If he's ever in your area you should make the plans to check him out. I've attached the 3 pieces he did in about 5 1/2 hours while explaining everything he did very well, and it was entertaining. Photos are just from a cel phone so forgive the quality.

ken

Attachments

• cleses_0379.jpg
    cleses_0379.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 90
  • clewes_0377.jpg
    clewes_0377.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 90
  • clewes_0387.jpg
    clewes_0387.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
He used an alcohol based dye blotted on with a rag. Actually 3, first coat was blu, 2nd green and last yellow. Light sanding in between each color and then he flashed off the alcohol with a lighter - not something I would do in my shop but it allowed him to move to the next step in the demo right away. The additional colors went onto the areas that came up clear after the sanding. The photos don't show it real well, but the curly grain comes through the dye very nicely and the color variation accents the curl. He also pre-sealed the inside and bottom with shellac I think, so the dye would not bleed onto the other areas where he did not want it. Another trick was using a spray bottle of alcohol to keep the dye areas wet so the colors would blend together evenly, no hard edges. He does have a couple of DVD's out and the process may be on one of them.

Ken