Cutlist dimensions

Hello to all,

I am looking at a project plan on FWW magazine site that has table legs with a thickness dimension of 1 3/16. Assuming (I know that is a dangerous thing to do but...) this is the finished dimension, what size rough lumber would have to be used 5/4 or 6/4? Could I reasonable expect to be able to plan just 1/32 off each side. Maybe I just answered my own question, but please give me your opinion!

I am trying to put together a cutting list to determine how many BF of each would be necessary to be purchased and if I can afford to try this out.

First off, am I approaching this the right way or is there something else to consider in calculating the amount of wood that would need to be bought?

I don't have a lumber stash that I can just go to and pick out what I need and want to be as accurate as I can to see how much 4/4, 5/4 and or 6/4 I would need to make this night stand.

the 1 3/16 should be doable in 5/4,, but that will dependon the rough size it was cut.. my rough cut lumber at 4/4---1 1/8 can at times net me clean 7/8 so using that thought my 5/4 would make it.. ask your supplier they should be able to give you a better idea of what they have on hand

Boy, that's a tough one. Around here, I wouldn't try it, but around these parts what they often sell as 4/4 is really like 3/4 plus. Maybe in other places that's different. :bang:

I *can* drive a ways and get 4/4 that's really more like 5/4 minus, but it's pretty rough, and counting on it to yield a good finished dimension that's that close would be pretty iffy.:dunno:

On the other hand, I don't see much 6/4, and 8/4 gets real spendy, real fast... :(

Just based on local conditions, I'd be tempted to think about gluing up some stock. :huh:

Good luck! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Rough or S2S?

If rough, you might be able to squeeze out the 1-3/16 out of 5/4, but it'll be close.

If S2S, then you'll need 6/4 for sure.

Thanks guys, I probably will need to figure out how to get a narrow 8' piece or a little wider 4' piece of the 6/4 because I have the planer that Vaughan lovingly calls the SnipeMaster!

By the way, I put all of the cutlist parts that are in the project plan PDF into a spreadsheet and calculated BF, but how can I get a layout for the pieces to minimize waste and optimize whatever size timber I purchase?

...By the way, I put all of the cutlist parts that are in the project plan PDF into a spreadsheet and calculated BF, but how can I get a layout for the pieces to minimize waste and optimize whatever size timber I purchase?

Best answer I can give is a program called "CutList-Plus." It'll let you input the sized of stock that you have, and then the sizes of the pieces you need, and will make a very accurate cutting diagram for you.

They used to have a $30 version, but that doesn't show up on their website any more. They do have a (free download) trial version that'll work with a limited number of parts. You might try that.

bill one thing you need to take into consideration is that you will have waste,,, add more bf than what you come up with on your talley.. and to be safe go with 6/4 to get the 1 3/16" stock.. another thing you should look at too is sometimes a cutlist program, doesnt take into considration where the parts should go because of color or grain.. those things can make a normal project a couple step above.:thumb: