Ebonized Oak Vase w/Copper Wire

Jeff Bower

I stumbled upon Mike Kaplan's website a few weeks ago, after bookmarking it months ago. These two vases caught my eye and I wanted to give it a go with one of my own.

My version is shown below. I have lots of burr oak around and it takes vinegar/steel wool ebonizing quite nicely. This piece started out as a vase about 6 months ago, but was to long to hollow without a steady rest which I haven't bothered to make yet. A few weeks ago I cut the bottom 1/3 off and started again. It was cracking, but that along with the interior that I left rough adds to it's character making it another rustic or primitive piece as well. A small void was created when a small burl popped out as well. It's about 8" tall and 6" wide at the top with 3 coats of danish oil and buffed. I will be doing more of this style. Comments and critiques encouraged please.....​

Jonathan, I did cut a groove for the wire. I then CA's the wire with a small bend on the end into a small crack. Did the same with the other end. You can see the ends in the first pic.

Cool idea, Jeff. :thumb: I'm not personally real fond of the rough inside, but if you (or your customers) like it, that's all the matters. :)

I think if I was making something similar, I'd try to make the outside rough and primitive, then have the inside polished as smooth as I could get it. I think the contrast between the two surfaces would be cool. I have something in the mill that follows that "contrast" idea. ;)

Jeff great idea for a rough looking piece. Really sets it off. If it were me I would have finished the inside smooth but that is just me and maybe dyed it a different color.

I think instead of the wire, maybe try a thin sheet, 22 gauge x 1/2 wide, peen it, then use pin nails to attach it.

I think instead of the wire, maybe try a thin sheet, 22 gauge x 1/2 wide, peen it, then use pin nails to attach it.

I thought about doing this as well, but I had the wire already and I priced sheets of copper....:eek::eek: If I find some scrap somewhere I will try that.

I am not a big fan of the wire. I have done it on a few different things and have never been happy with the start and end showing:dunno: I also have done the sheet inlay and hated the nail that held it together. So I started to do an offset over lap and solder the joint. That I like, now if I could just get rid of the joint.
I will say you did a good job with the wire it's just not my cup o tea.:thumb:

Thanks Chuck, I didn't think about soldering it. The ends showing don't bother me as much as the wire not being straight all the way around. :eek: