Christmas Presents for Family

Mike Forsman

I got some shop time right after thanksgiving and had a chance to make some Christmas presents though I would let you folks have a peek first.

The first is an apricot bowl that I made for my mother-in-law. This is made from an apricot tree that we cut down from her back yard during the summer. The tree was almost dead from insect damage.

It is about 12 inches in diameter and about 6 inches tall. Wall thickness is about 1/4 inch. That apricot turned like butter and was very nice to work with.

Attachments

• Apricot_1.jpg
    Apricot_1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Apricot_2.jpg
    Apricot_2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 8
  • Apricot_3.jpg
    Apricot_3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Apricot_4.jpg
    Apricot_4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 10
Another one that I made was for my sister-in-law and her husband. It was made from spalted red oak that I picked up on a wood gathering trip last spring. That oak was hard to turn. It took quite a bit of thinned epoxy to make it strong enough to turn.

This one is about 14 inches in diameter and about 5 inches tall.

Attachments

• Spalted_Red_oak_Big_4.jpg
    Spalted_Red_oak_Big_4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4
  • Spalted_Red_oak_Big_3.jpg
    Spalted_Red_oak_Big_3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Spalted_Red_oak_Big_2.jpg
    Spalted_Red_oak_Big_2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Spalted_Red_oak_Big_1.jpg
    Spalted_Red_oak_Big_1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5
The third was a bowl that I made for my Daughter. It is about 8 inches in diameter and about 6 inches tall.

Attachments

• Spalted_Red_Oak_Round1.jpg
    Spalted_Red_Oak_Round1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Spalted_Red_Oak_Round2.jpg
    Spalted_Red_Oak_Round2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
I also made this bowl out of the same spalted red oak. It is going to my brother-in-law. About 8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches tall.

Attachments

• Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_1.jpg
    Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2
  • Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_2.jpg
    Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_4.jpg
    Spalted_Red_Oak_Flat_4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
Also made this one from wood that I found on the side of the road last year when I was teaching my son how to drive. Found this near a construction site for a new bridge by one of the lakes. Don't know what type of wood it is. This one is going to my Dad and Mom. It is about 6 inches by 5 inches.

Attachments

• Found_wood_1.jpg
    Found_wood_1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Found_wood_2.jpg
    Found_wood_2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4
The first is an apricot bowl that I made for my mother-in-law. This is made from an apricot tree that we cut down from her back yard during the summer. The tree was almost dead from insect damage.

All of the bowls look great, Mike. I think this is the first time I have ever seen apricot turned before. It almost has a cherry look to it. Nicely done.