How do you feel about lending your tools to someone else.

I have this sign in my shop

NOTICE

I have a simple policy for loaning tools. No! Don’t even ask. Any exception I make for someone else does not constitute a precedent applicable to you.

The management

Yeah, but what I usually do is

NOTICE

I have a simple policy for loaning tools. No! Don’t even ask. Any exception I make for someone else does not constitute a precedent applicable to you.

The management

I have an old Craftsman sabre saw, an old Black and Decker circular saw and a no name 3/8 VS drill I keep for loaners. A neighbor brought the sabre saw back one day and asked where he could get a Bosch. He said point well made!:rofl::thumb:

I'll lend out carpentry tools and machines to friends and family. Very few of my tools are too "precious". I've got some of my hand planes and chisels tuned up for fine work - i wouldn't send those out the door for brute work, but i've got other chisels and planes that are set up for that, and i've lent them out from time to time. Every great once in a while, there will be a mishap where something comes back in worse shape than it left in, but sometimes those things happen to me using my own tools. Fortunately, i don't have any "deadbeat" family members or friends.
People have lent me many things over the years, saving me a lot of money or effort. What goes around comes around.
Paul Hubbman

I will only loan out tools to one person, my best friend I have known him for about 45 yrs & I know he takes care of his tools like I do. About 27 yrs ago I bought about $2,000 worthy of mechanics & other tools I have left only about 10 sockets & 1 socket wrench. My Dad & brother used stuff & it got lost. So I will only loan to 1 person period.