A drawing table and two chairs for my 4 year old granddaughter

Frank Pellow

(part 1 of 2)

At least once a month, a number (that number being somewhere between 12 and 24) of woodworkers mostly from the eastern portion of the greater Toronto area meet for breakfast or lunch. We originally got to contact each other on the Canadian Woodworking forum. But, meeting in person is even better!

On the first Saturday in December, a group of us met in Leaside for fish and chips and beer. I was particularly fortunate to be sitting across the table from Don McFarland of Markham. Don told me about a table and chairs that he is making for his grandson and I immediately decided that I want to make something similar for my 4 year old granddaughter Jamie. Here is picture that Don later sent me of his table:

Chairs and table for Jamie 01 -Inspired by this table built by Don McFarland.jpg

The table supports a role of drawing paper as well as two strips that are held to the table with magnets and keep the paper in position while someone is drawing.

Don found plans for children?s chairs on the Lowes web site (http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Childs_Table_and_Chairs_0507.aspx). I thought the plans were quite good and built a couple of chairs with only very minor modifications. Here is an extract from the chair plan:

Chairs and table for Jamie 03 -Extract from chair plan.JPG

Last week I built the table and two chairs. The rest of this thread shows and describes the steps in the project.

(01) Two of the pieces shown in the photo below form the rear legs and back frame for a chair. They were cut using a jig saw.

Chairs and table for Jamie 04 -Cutting the back pieces of the chair frame using a jig saw -small.JPG

(02) Each chair has three back slats and each slat must have a rounded section cut out in order that the back of the chair will fit the contour of its occupant. I made a template, marked each slat using that template, cut each slat on my small bandsaw, then smoothed the cut using a Festool Deltex sander equipped with 40 grit paper.

Chairs and table for Jamie 05 -Template for rounding chair backs -small.JPG Chairs and table for Jamie 06 -Removing a part of a back slat using small bandsaw -small.JPG Chairs and table for Jamie 07 -Smoothing the rough cut made by the bandsaw with 40 grit paper on.JPG

I followed this up with 80 and 120 grit paper using my Festool linear sander.

(03) I tapered the front legs of the chairs and all the legs of the table freehand (but very carefully) on my table saw:

Chairs and table for Jamie 08 -The leg tapers were cut freehand on the table saw -small.JPG

(04) The slats were attached to the chair using glued and screwed butt joints. Here is one of the backs:

Chairs and table for Jamie 09 -Assembled chair back -small.JPG

(05) Most of the joints on both the chair and table were made using pocket hole screws. Here the holes are being drilled with a Kreg jig:

Chairs and table for Jamie 10 -Drilling pocket holes -small.JPG

And here a cross piece is being screwed into place:

Chairs and table for Jamie 11 -Assembling a chair using pocket holes -small.JPG

Last edited:
(part 2 of 2)

(06) A chair seat was cut out of Baltic birch plywood, then the chair was assembled:

Chairs and table for Jamie 12 -Assembled chair frame -small.JPG Chairs and table for Jamie 13 -Assembled chair -small.JPG

(07) Here, the table frame is being screwed to the top:

Chairs and table for Jamie 15 -Screwing the frame to the table top -small.JPG

(08) I next tested both the chair and table for size and strength:

Chairs and table for Jamie 17 -Frank testing a chair -small.JPG

(09)The next steps were to build and install a roller to hold the paper, embed four washers in the table top, build a couple of hold-down bars with embedded magnets, paint the table white, paint one chair red, and paint one chair yellow, and install screw-in rubber feet on all the legs.

Chairs and table for Jamie 20 -Paper roll on finished table -small.JPG Chairs and table for Jamie 21 -Hold down bar on finished table -small.JPG Chairs and table for Jamie 22 -Finished table and chairs -small.JPG

Last edited:
Thanx for sharing Frank.

I actually was a bit suprised in the Lowes toddler table picture, the corners of the table were squared off and not rounded.
My kids were notorious for bumping into table edges.

Very neat, Frank. I'm sure it'll get a lot of use. :thumb:

Gotta say I winced a bit on the picture showing the tapering of the legs. Especially since you have a bandsaw and very good sanders. ;)

Frank, Can I copy your designs please?? Sure look awesome. Megan needs some as well!! With the kitchen she needs a place to eat, have tea parties at (more like apple juice parties - her favorite drink of choice) at and draw at! Awesome job!

Lots and Lots of Paper:

It turns out that Kristel (my daughter and Jamie's Mum) had a very big role of paper that someone gave her. It is 36 inches long and the role that I bought at Mastermind is 18 inches long. Also it is very thick but not so thick that it will not fit on the roller. I thought that I would be able to cut the roll in two on my table saw, so I brought it back to Toronto with me and gave it a try:

Cutting large paper roll on table saw -1 -small.JPG Cutting large paper roll on table saw -2 -small.JPG

The job was easy and the results were good. Jamie will now have enough drawing paper to last a very very long time.

Frank, Can I copy your designs please?? Sure look awesome. Megan needs some as well!! With the kitchen she needs a place to eat, have tea parties at (more like apple juice parties - her favorite drink of choice) at and draw at! Awesome job!
Of course -and it's not my design. I got it from Don McFarland (whose table I showed in the first picture in this thread).

frank, I buy rolls of paper for kids to color on in various widths at a local newspaper printer, He prints something like a penny saver. its great stuff for art and school projects, usually the end of the big rolls, and its very inexpensive.(he sells it by the pound)I attached one to a kids easle and he only had to pull the paper down and rip when he needed a clean surface.

Curious how you did that Frank, since the thickness of the roll is greater than your blade height, two passes or did you just rotate the roll?

Thank you Patrick, Vaughn, Toni, Mike, and Frank.

Vaughn, sorry to make you wince but I understand why you did. I chose a table saw over a band saw because, at least with the blades currently on my bandsaws, I get a much smoother cut with the tablesaw. I knew that kickback was a possibility but chose to risk it. The chances of kickback weere small because, the wood was soft and knot free and the saw blade was new and very sharp.