My first Bowl

This bowl was made from some oak I had laying around.
Boy is this hard to turn, I definately need a class in turning. Please be gentle with me, I think it came out okDSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

And my lathe with shavings

DSC00019.jpg.

Butch,
Oak is a very difficult wood to turn. You did a great job. Next time try some walnut or maple and you'll find it a lot more fun to turn. Remember sharp tools and turn as fast as you're confortable. One of the things I learned was speed can be you friend.

I started turning this at around 1000 but slowed it down to about 650 it went much better. I didnt want to ruin an expensive piece of wood thats why I glued together some oak I had.

Ya did good! :thumb:

I think you could easily keep a few handfuls of M&Ms in there, so it is a bowl :clap: MUCH better then the first one It tired :D

So, how did you like the new lathe?

Cheers!

I hear you on the sharpening, I'm going to write a little sign on the wall near my lathe, in line of sight that says "Time to Sharpen????" I don't do it as much as I should.

Cheers!

Butch you got more patients than I do. I don't like turning oak at all but you did a nice job on it. It is about as good to turn to me as black locust. You have to sharpen tools every 3 or 4 turns.