Renaissance Wax: Best way to apply?

Keith Palmer

I have seen a lot about ren wax being better at not showing finger prints than carnuba and it also doesn't get water spots. What is the best way to apply it? By hand or buffer?

I was going to try it on a piece that has poly as well as on a bowl with Danish oil finish. What process should I use? Do you use it in addition to carnuba or instead of??

Thank you all for your help in getting this newbie sorted out.:D

Keith I apply with a old T-shirt. I rub in on the pen or bowl kinda like polishing a shoe. Just make sure you have covered the whole thing and don't leave gaps. It dries almost instantly but I let it sit for a minute or two. I buff either on the lathe with the same T-shirt or will buff on the beall buff.

I put on a thin coat of wax and let it dry, then either use a microfiber towel or a buffing wheel to shine it up. I use the same wheel that I use for carnauba, but I've never really loaded the wheel much at all with the carnauba in the first place. I'm sure you'd be fine, but if your wheel has a lot of wax build-up, raking is probably a good idea.

I think you'll like the Renaissance Wax. The "no fingerprints" claim is amazingly true. I also make sure I have it in the booth at shows for quick touch-ups when necessary. (That's where I use the microfiber towels for buffing.)

Thanks Steve, your article is the one that got me to thinking about the renwax.

You already had me going to buy some, just wanted to confirm proper application of the wax.

Your website has been very informative, infact I picked up a turkey fryer 2 weeks ago on craigslist so I can try boiling some apple I am going to rough turn after christmas.

You guys sold me too. I picked up a can at Woodcraft using a 20% off coupon. I'll follow the instructions presented here for some ice cream scoops I'm making this weekend. Thanks to all.

Keith, a little tip I use with great results is to apply the Ren. Wax using a small square piece of a white synthetic pad. Just rub it in good, and the white pad gives turnings a fine polish while applying the wax. I let it dry, and like Vaughn, I remove it with either a soft cotton cloth, or micro fiber cloth. Works like a charm, and VERY little of the wax goes a looooong way. That's a good thing, because Ren. Wax is on the pricey side!

Keith, the direction from the can I have are kinda good, rub on in light amount with a soft cloth. Let it dry for about a minute...or 5. Spin up your lathe to something over 2k rpm and buff out with a soft cloth. Stuff like Ren wax and Bee's wax, although not popular here, are used by Raffan and Key. If it's good enough for them...I'm cool with it. Give it a whirl on some stuff and see what happens. And like Kevin said...a little goes a really long way. :wave:

Last edited: