Welcome John Thompson

Doug Shepard

In Memorium
John
Though you'll still have to wait on the email before you can post, I just wanted to be the first to welcome you aboard.
To the members already here, John's posts on the Knots forum are always some of the more informative and he's gone over the Steel City bandsaws with a fine-tooth comb, so I thought I'd see if I could talk him into taking his act on the road and drop by for some input on Brent's table insert problem
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1189

Welcome John - hope you find the place enjoyable enough to drop in often.

Thanks Doug and Steve for the welcome..

I was not aware of the site untill Doug sent me an e-mail and asked me to drop by for a visit. What I have seen so far might lead one to believe that this could be freindly turf compared to some other WW sites. :>)

Looking forward to reading others post as infomation gained should be information shared as I see it. I got involved in WW before the advances of inter-net with it's instantaneous exchange of info. In 1972 we had nothing but trial and error and word of mouth from the few locals you knew that could pass information.

But times have changed since then. I saw Fine Woodworking magazine print it's first issue. I saw Highland Hardware (now Highland Woodworking) opened a lot of doors for the southern WW. Names like Frid.. Kresnov.. Klaus.. Odate.. Maloof.. Odate.. etc.. started dropping by for seminars on week-ends. And now the quick question and usually quick answer available with the advances of cyber-world.

Things have changed in then last 35 years.. but the one thing that has remained constant is that WW'ers seem to willingly share their experience with you. In order for WW to remain healthy in the future.. the un-selfish sharing must continue to be passed from generation to generation.

Looking forward to the site and can hopefully make a contribution from time to time. You know what they say, "even an old blind squirrel can contribute an acorn every once in awhile". In my case the old and blind part could be closer to the truth than I would like. ha.. ha...

And.... if I don't get to work on that table for my charming and lovely wife.. I'm going to be sleeping in the shop to-nite instead of just working it it! :>)

Looking forward to this site....

john t.. jt.. sarge

Welcome John. It certainly looks like you have a lot to contribute here and I look forward to those contributions. I have already read what you said about riving knives and, in doing so, learned more about my favourite table and circular saw safety device.

John
Glad you decided to jump in with both feet here and start adding your input on threads. If you don't mind me asking though - is there a story behind your Knots username SARGEgrinder47 ? I'm guessing the SARGE part was your military rank, but the grinder47 part has me curious.

Welcome John, if you had that first issue of FWW, in nice shape, that would be worth something eh? :D

Glad to have you join us, yep the world sure has changed.

Cheers!

Good morning All...

Thanks to everyone that has laid out the welcome mat.. I see a few names here that I see in a few other sites as I browse occasionally as time allows. I am kind of spotty as time between part time work www.yearone.com, home, family and basically every moment left is spent in the shop.

OK Doug.. to answer your question... I originally used SARGE at Knots. When the site changed formats, I got busy and didn't post for awhile. When I went badk SARGE has been taken so I had to modify it to SARGE..grinder47.

The Sarge is from P" Co. 75th Ranger Regiment in Viet Nam in 68'-69'. I did my 3 years and got out as $13.88 a day at sargents pay and that included $55 a month for combat pay was not my best choice of careers. Maybe $14.00 a day would have done it? ha.. ha...

Grinder is a nick-name given to me by members in my Hunter-Killer Team on the DMZ in Nam. I suppose they felt instead of jumping feet first into what was a potentially dangerous problem, I would calculate it and then attempt to "grind" the problem down methodically to a more managable situation. Instead of attacking the elephant "head on" where he would be crushed, the tiger lies in hide and attacks when the elephant from an angle that the elephant is least suspecting. When the elephant turns to confront the tiger, the tiger retreats to his hide to await the next moment of opportunity reducind this risk and increasing his chance of victory in the long haul. This may not make sense to you.. kinda one of those "you had to be there" things that is difficult to explain! :>)

47 is simple.. Born Oct. 10. 1947.. Yeah.. I know I'm gettin' old for all of you that are thinking it. My response... Awwwh...Shuuutt Uuupp! ha.. ha...

Just kiddin' bout the shutting up.. a little humor is sometimes a good thing I believe!

Regards...

JT.. sarge