Versa Tool

I had to go to the PSI site to see what this is. It just looks like a round nose scraper to me. Dunno about the claims. :dunno:
Do you have an old skew laying around? If you do, just grind it round nose and sharpen.

It's hard to tell from the images on the PSI site, but the VersaTool may be a lot like the Sorby SpindleMaster ... ground kinda like a gouge underneath, but with no flute on top.

I really enjoyed using a SpindleMaster in a class at Craft Supplies several years ago. I finally got around to buying two sizes recently, but haven't put them to work yet.

If you Google for "Sorby SpindleMaster" you will find lots of info, including an extensive review by David Reed Smith, a YouTube video, etc.

As Frank said, you could certainly grind a SpindleMaster shape out of a flat scraper. One interesting tidbit is that the Sorby tool comes with a polished bevel.:huh:

Again ... sorry if the VersaTool ends up being fundamentally different from the SpindleMaster.

I've got a couple of the Spindlemasters, but so far I've not had real amazing results. I strongly suspect it's not the fault of the tool, but the fault of the operator.