Delta 17-950L, Service #2 under warranty

glenn bradley

My 17-950L was a great deal as far as the initial price. I bought it while saving for a Steel City as the Delta was on sale for about half the price. My first service experience with Delta several months ago and the associated loss of my machine for over a month pretty much ate up all the savings in my mind. What's that saying about you get what you pay for?

Anyway, the table raising assembly started to feel rough and there are score marks on the vertical gear that the table rides on. I assume the worm gear has gone kaput.

While trying to figure out what was going wrong I happened to get my head close to the motor. There is a rubbing (bordering on grinding) sound coming from it. I have placed a service request on both issues and will keep you all posted so you can factor this in when deciding on any newer Delta tools.

In Delta's defense, the 17-950 is the top of their 'lower end' DP style machine. My dad got the 17-959 which is more or less the entry into their next class of machine. It is a toatlly different beast, very solid. I do like the 950 and hope this service experience will be better than the last one and maybe the last one for a long time(?).

Delta is sending the parts I defined. They state the motor noise may just be the centrifugal cap switch which is very possible.