End Grain cutting boards... in progress

Uh......Ned, I think ya better have a talk with your "BUILDER", 'cause I THINK he forgot to install the ah .... Door Seal, eh? Oh I FORGOT, that's the Kerosene FUME VENT system, isn't it?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad to see you're makin' use of the shop anyhow.:thumb:
yeah, that punch list just caught up with him...

ned, a big reason Im afaid to put any type of heating system in my garage is because I lack dust collection.
Is there much concern with a heater like you have with all that sawdust?

Im glad to see youre getting your boards done in a timely fashion.

Allen,
the Kero heater works well enough for me for this winter, I hope to have something different for next winter though. As for the dust and such... it was in the middle of the shop for about half an hour, and that pile was there before I moved it there. No way it would light off those shavings.

The boards are looking nice, Ned. I especially like the light-colored one in the middle. Nice job on the grain orientation. :thumb:

I can't wait to see that one oiled up, that's the Lyptus and Maple one.

Ned,
The cutting boards are looking great! The patterns are really cool.

Wes
Wes, I simply cut and stacked... the Big Guy upstairs was responsible for the artwork. ;)
Hey there Ned,

I'm liking what you're doing. You are getting me motivated to try making some cutting boards too. I really like your choice and positioning of those grains. Outstanding.

Yeah, I agree with the concern by Allen. You're getting a little close with the heater and the sawdust.

I know what you are going through with the wind leaks. Funny how that snow seems to get on everything. Same way my first old shop back in New York was years ago. That one was right on the high bank of old Lake Erie, and you know how nasty that can get.

Keep up the good work. I'm following it along.

Aloha, Tony

Edit: Those are my Daughter's Shelties in my avatar, That's the NYS Thruway (I-90 @ exit 60) in the far background beyond the grape vineyard. The truck is eastbound. Just thought you might like to know.
Tony,
ayup, I know exactly how western NY gets hit with snow. And I've driven that road far too many times to count... I wondered when they imported snow out to paradise. ;)

Thanks all for checking in. I think these will just be the First round, as I want to make an even bigger one for the LOML.

DSC06054.jpg

planed down, cut to size, rounded over and sanded... before oiling...

DSC06055.jpg

after one coat of oil...

cherry, maple, walnut and Lyptus
DSC06056.jpg

Maple, lyptus and walnut
DSC06058.jpg

Lyptus and maple
DSC06057.jpg

and from several years ago... a little board I made and has been well used since...

DSC06061.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Ned, I'm sure those boards will be appreciated :thumb:

The old board, the one that has "Seen some use" just run it through your planer and it well but as good as new :thumb:

I did this on some old store bought boards we have..........

kitchen_cutting_board_before.jpg
Before.....

kitchen_cutting_board_after.jpg
After...... :D

Cheers!

Well done Ned, I'm sure those boards will be appreciated :thumb:

The old board, the one that has "Seen some use" just run it through your planer and it well but as good as new :thumb:
Cheers!

Stu,
that board is only about 8" long so no planer in its future I'm afraid, I'm going to sand it and leave it at that.

Thanks all for checking in. I really enjoyed the project. I've already got several more in the pipeline that I'll need to turn around fairly quickly, including one large one for chez Bulken, which will be maple and black walnut for the LOML.