Roy Underhill show

Frank Fusco

I record the Roy Underhill shows and watch later. I don't do much of the neanderthal thing anymore but his techniques are always interesting and informative.
The most recent show was particularly interesting. He had a couple guests who showed the steps involved in making a very elaborately inlaid tool chest. They used some specialized tools that most of us would not have. But the steps could be done without them.
However, among the tools were a couple very small planes. One was brass, or bronze, and was only about 1 1/2" long. It might have been a model makers tool, I dunno. I just had never seen a plane that tiny. He did some fine, meaning precise, work with it.
BTW, they explained why a tool chest was so elaborately inlaid. The chest demonstrated the extent of the skills of the craftsman and help to sell his services. Makes sense.

I wish I could have seen that one! Our station has had their fund drive that has preempted the show.

IMG_05151.JPG

My station is always preempting the woodworking shows for fund drives. Every month they have a fund drive which may run for two weeks. December is one of those months! To say I am total frustrated with our local PBS is an understatement. Our local NPR is another story altogether with a judicious use of fund driving. Because of that we financial support them.

OK, so it wazn't so uneek. ;)
Wuz to me.
What they had on the show were similar in size only. Different style.
How they used them was interesting also. Real craftsmanship that required, I'm sure, tons more patience than I have ever had.